Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My bees drink like a fish?  (Read 1198 times)

Offline dprater

• House Bee
My bees drink like a fish?
« on: May 12, 2012, 10:43:31 pm »
First year, have 2 hives that are doing great. Got them April 14 and just put # 3 medium brood supper on today, ( 8 frames). Only feeding every few days now, these girls can suck up 2 quarts per hive in one day. Is that the norm?

Should I keep syrup for them all the time, or feed them 2 or 3 times a week? Did not thank about a sugar bill when I started bees LOL!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: My bees drink like a fish?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 11:12:44 pm »
depends on what's going on inside.  are they leaving room for brood, or filling the hive with syrup?  are they building comb?  whats going on in your area with the nectar flow? 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 09:02:11 am »
I bet you can take the feeder away.

Offline dprater

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 10:27:28 am »
kathyp- building comb like crazy,bottom supper-all frames full with comb, capped brood in the center with open cells with brood at different stages around that, pollen and then capped syrup or honey in the corners. # 2 brood in center with 6 frames drown out, moved two outside frames in one step and added a new supper.

Flow? they are bringing lots of pollen in. I live in central South Carolina but have not got a grip on the flow thing yet.

Thanks

anything