Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax Moth in Honey Supers  (Read 2196 times)

Offline TonyBOD

• New Bee
Wax Moth in Honey Supers
« on: June 08, 2010, 03:40:43 pm »
So I went to put on some additional honey supers and I discovered that some of them had been hit with wax moth while in storage - webbing, comb damage, some cocoons and some dead moths.

I scraped off the damaged comb and then put the frames in the freezer (plastic foundation)

After a couple of days of freezing, am I OK to take them out put the frames back on the hive? Will the bees clean out any residual dead stuff left behind? Some of the cells had dark stuff in it (not sure what it was and most of it came off when I scraped the area away) - I am assuming that the freezing will kill anything that could become a problem and that the bees will clean out any residual stuff that was in the cells and is still on the foundation - just don't want to introduce anything into the hive I shouldn't......

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Wax Moth in Honey Supers
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 03:57:47 pm »
I would pick off the big stuff and put then on the hives. The bees will clean them up.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

anything