Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Today's cut out  (Read 5600 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Today's cut out
« on: March 19, 2009, 07:56:58 pm »
One of the worst kind. The exterminator called me after he sprayed them. Tough on the bees, but another hundred dollars for me. "My sprayed surcharge"

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Iddee/removals/103_0021.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Iddee/removals/103_0032.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Iddee/removals/103_0034.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Iddee/removals/103_0023.jpg

A lot of wasted brood and honey, but couldn't keep any of it.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
Re: Today's cut out
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 08:08:05 pm »
That's too bad about the exterminator.  If you don't mind my asking how do you figure out how much to charge for a removal?  Is it just hourly and mileage based or do you factor in the specifics of each job?
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 08:46:47 pm »
I have a flat fee that covers the first 10 miles travel and the first three hours work. Add ons can include travel, "do it right now" spray, scaffolding, extra help, height, whatever the particular job may incur.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 09:07:36 pm »
Thanks.  I'm doing my first cutout next month for free.  Mostly for the experience and to get the bees(booming hive that's been there three years) and the fact that they are just knocking the building down and so aren't really motivated to save them if it cost money.  It could be a big job, tearing the end of a barn off.  They were using the sliding door track of a collapsed sliding door as an entrance.  I was trying to figure out what I would charge someone to do it assuming I was experienced enough to claim some expertise in doing it.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 09:17:21 pm »
yours should be fun.  you don't have to worry about what you tear up if the building is being destroyed.  one suggestion.  for a hive that has been there 3 years, take several boxes.  you may need two for that hive, and you may find that there are more than one hive in the barn.  also big containers for the honey!   :-D  ok....two suggestions.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 02:14:01 pm »
I don't believe I even saw one live bee in your pics. Did you have to access the void space? If not I wonder why they even called you in.

They mustn't be live cause you're wearing a shirt. ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 06:08:16 pm »
Yes, there were about 3 frames worth still alive. I put them in a hive body and placed them far away from my hives. If they are still alive in about 4 days, I will add a queen.

I was wearing the shirt because of the temp. It isn't summer here yet.   :)

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 07:17:06 pm »
Good luck with that lil colony Iddee.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 07:39:15 pm »
I envy you guys that do that hard work . I'm not the man I used to be or I'd be right there learning with you.

Hope they survive Iddee.

Offline dhood

• House Bee
    • WD Hood Apiaries
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 07:54:22 pm »
Todays cutout also...

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 09:51:42 pm »
That's a big hive for this time of year. They should be a good hive if you can save the genetics. I wouldn't expect one to be that well stocked this early.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline dhood

• House Bee
    • WD Hood Apiaries
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 10:06:31 pm »
I was pretty suprised too. The homeowner said they had been there for about five years, I'm hoping that they are some of those surviving stock that I keep hereing about. This was a tough job, you ever get them were the homeowner request removal from the inside? This was in a kitchen, while the tenent was on the other side of the plastic that I had seperating the room.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 10:15:19 pm »
I do every one possible from the inside. I hate to do one from the outside. The bees fly to the outside and leave you alone inside. Just try to cover the windows in the room to keep them from filling with bees.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline dhood

• House Bee
    • WD Hood Apiaries
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 10:28:56 pm »
Yea, I learned that one today. About half way through I turned to look out the window and it was almost completly covered with bees. Wasted alot of time. I will definitly remember that next time. I have done cutouts inside before in old houses that were not occupied, but never in one that someone was right across the room. It was definitly an experience. I about had a hard attack when the guy helping me stepped on the plastic and almost tore it down :-D. There was a couple thousand bees clinging to the plastic trying to get into the rest of the house.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 10:40:00 pm »
You had too much light in the room. I seldom get a hundred bees in the house. I like them best when the room has an outside door. I leave it fully open. Any bees that take flight go right out. I do keep it as dark as is reasonable in the room otherwise.

One I did was in the dining room of a house that had been on the front page of "Better Homes and Gardens". The carpet had a 1 1/2 inch nap. I cut the sheetrock from the ceiling and removed the bees. The queen left the box and returned to the house, in the next joist. I had to cut another hole in the ceiling to get them again. That time I installed an excluder on the bottom board. You will get into all kinds of situations. You just have to deal with them as they come along.

PS. When my buddy finished the repair, the owner hired him to refinish the complete ceiling. He liked it better than the original finish. It pays to have friends that take pride in their work and do nice jobs.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline dhood

• House Bee
    • WD Hood Apiaries
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 10:57:10 pm »
Thanks for the advice, next time I get into that situation I will shade the windows, there were several windows on the other side and I was using clear plastic. There were no doors or lights in the small area that I was working, only a window that would not open.

Iddee - PS. When my buddy finished the repair, the owner hired him to refinish the complete ceiling. He liked it better than the original finish.

Thats good, do you work that into your price and contract it out yourself or do you just recommend him? I try to do as little damage as possible, but don't care for the repair work, I'm no carpenter anyways. This wasn't bad because it was just replacing paneling and molding,

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 11:00:28 pm »
The only nail I can drive is on my left thumb. I do no repairs, and refer someone only when asked. I did that one on Sunday and my buddy came right out and fixed it the same day. That doesn't happen very often.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 11:32:48 pm »
Why didn't you keep any of the brood?  I know it was sprayed, but it looked like some of the capped brood had bees hatching out.....then rotate it out very soon.

?
Rick
Rick

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 12:55:16 am »
You mean rotate it out after the house bees have all been poisoned? Don't want to take the chance. Melted it all down and poured it in a hole and covered it.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 03:50:56 pm »
 Wrong Thread. Sorry

*Shel Silverstein*

anything