Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just how far should u go?  (Read 5798 times)

Offline Lek

• New Bee
Just how far should u go?
« on: February 11, 2010, 06:08:29 am »
I have heard it time and again, you can move your hive 2 feet or 2 miles, Has anyone ever given it a go to move a hive 100 yards, What is the problem of only moving them that short distance?  These little fellers move out to about 6 miles to find blossom, if the hive was moved two miles then they are still within the range of where they come from, so wouldn't they return back to original spot... Cheers  Lek,

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Re: Just how far should u go?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 08:41:35 am »
Welcome!

It is my understanding that 2 miles would not be enough. Twice that distance is more like it.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 08:47:13 am »
Just move them, they'll do fine. Move them in the dark and cover the entrance with twigs/leaves to make the re-orient in the morning.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 10:27:02 am »
My own magic number is one mile, but I have moved them less of a distance but try not to. But of course I am referring to swarms and cutouts where swarms just want a nice home and bees are often so disarrayed after a cutout they can't help but re-orient to the new location.

If moving short distances, the less distance between each move, the better. A gal wanted a colony on her property moved 50' just last week before the southeast organic conference I attended. I moved them a third of the distance over a three day period.

If 100 yards, I would seriously consider making a split, leaving the queenless colony at the old location to catch the returning bees. The parent colony would get a big branch or other obstruction right in front of the entrance to help them re-orient.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 12:51:38 pm »

100 years will not succeed. Of course not.

And what idea is to split the hive - nothing. It ruins foraging.

Carry the hive 2-3 miles and bring it back to new place after 2 months.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 05:49:21 pm »
I wondered the same thing, Lek.  Try it and tell us how they go!

Nice to see someone closer to me.  How are the conditions for your bees down at Mackay?

Lone

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 07:03:26 pm »
I think JP meant splitting the move to two or three steps, not splitting the hive.

If you just move them all the way and leave a empty nuc or hive in the old place, the returnees can be carried and dumped in front of the hive after dark.

First night, two pounds of bees.
Second night, 1/2 pound of bees.
Third night, 1/2 cup bees.
Fourth night, no bees.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 07:31:51 pm »
Man! I was so misled by the subject title!!! :lau: :lau: :lau:

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 07:41:38 pm »
Do what you want but I would do what Finski said. 

I would say the distance you have to move the hive depends on your location and climate and how far your bees have to fly for forage.  They will stay within a mile if there is plenty of nectar and pollen available.  If your bees have to fly three miles them you would want to move over six I would think.  Im pretty sure mine dont need to travel more than two miles ever.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lek

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 11:45:47 pm »
Thanks to all who read and replied to my post, "Just how far should u go?".......... just a bit of a carry on why I needed to move them 100 yds, I wanted to bring the hive bach home so I could fit a new landing board, one that has a better beatle trap then the one that was on the hive, we had had a fair bit or rain after the cyclone that was hanging around, the ground was a bit too boggy to get my ute down to it, plus a whopping big branch fell and just missed the hive, So I reckon it would be a good idea to bring the hive up to higher ground.

Hi Lone, Still a bit of blossom around, I was thinking about moving a hive or two up to nephews place, fair amount of iron bark, blue gum, carbeen, and heaps of others. I had a quick trip up to cairns this week, bit of paper bark and out but didn't see much else, spent the night in Cardwell,had a look through the sisters garden and could not find one bee.maybe they were taking shelter from the rain.

Chers Lek.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 12:26:53 am »
I think JP meant splitting the move to two or three steps, not splitting the hive.

If you just move them all the way and leave a empty nuc or hive in the old place, the returnees can be carried and dumped in front of the hive after dark.

First night, two pounds of bees.
Second night, 1/2 pound of bees.
Third night, 1/2 cup bees.
Fourth night, no bees.

Actually, I did mean splitting the hive but a small split, say a 3 frame nuc in the old spot. A frame of brood with eggs/young larvae for the bees to make a queen from and some feed.

I don't see why that wouldn't work. What y'all think?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 07:15:41 am »
I would like to see how you go, Lek.  If you only have one hive there, I can't see how the bees have any option but to find the new location.  Of course, you could number all the bees and count them afterwards..

What is the rationale for not shifting hives a medium distance?  Has anyone done this and had problems?

Lek, we just have a tiny amount of bloodwood out, mainly.  Somehow the weather hasn't stimulated it to bloom properly.

Lone

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 09:44:51 am »
Even moving a hive a foot has consequences. I've done it many times & it could take 15 minutes or an hour or more for the bees to orient to the new location.

The gal's bees I moved recently still had bees going back to the old location after three days. The hive was moved a total of approximately 60' give or take.

...JP

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 01:30:29 pm »
Last year I moved bee's just 1/2 mile from my farm to a friends place   Between the 2 apiaries is a large woods of big maples and I think this makes a difference.   I moved them sealed up after dark and none returned.   I did move one a couple of years ago during the day and that afternoon found a soft ball size cluster on my jeep tire that had been sitting next to the hive.

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 08:53:55 pm »
hi
   i moved hives in modified wheel barraw a bit at a time it takes awhile ,might move it bit every second day.takes bit all right if you got the time to do it.

anything