Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When to add a second honey super  (Read 2018 times)

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
When to add a second honey super
« on: June 14, 2006, 05:13:35 pm »
I have one hive with a super a little more than half way drawn and filled (at least a week ago that is where it was).

When should I stick the second one on? Is it like brood boxes with the 70-80% rule, or sooner? Also, should the new box go below the drawn box. BTW, I am using a queen exluder even though I know most here don't like them.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
When to add a second honey super
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 06:13:02 pm »
The rule i use is 80-90% full, which equates out to about 8 frames full and working on the last 2.  I hate excluders and use them only in very limited situations such as retaining a queen that has a prediliction towards absconding as might happen in a feral hive removed from a wall.

The bees have to literally squeeze themselves through between the bars of the excluder and many hives will go into a swarm mode rather than work through one.  If the queen goes up into the supers above the brood chamber put the frames down  when you harvest and use the bee escape.

A very good arguement for using only 1 size of box--4 shallows is a bigger broodchamber than 2 deeps but there is no worry about which frame goes where.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!