Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Texas  (Read 3193 times)

Offline chrisld

• New Bee
Hello from Texas
« on: December 30, 2008, 07:33:38 pm »
 Hello to all,

My interest started when I found a small hive in a friends friends camp trailer. I have thought about beekeeping before just never went through with it. I just found out they have been sprayed. The five small combs are empty and I would bet less than three hundred bees. This was going to be my start. I have checked them the last three days temp. in the 60F and no flight. I have put sugar with them but do not expect much. I also found out My great grandfather was a beekeeper WOW! thats cool stuff.

The good news is I will be ordering a package for spring. I will start one TBH (because I have the wood and it easy to make) and maybe go to three hives at most the next year. I just want honey for friends and family and the pure pleasure of learning about bees.

I work for the highway dept. I get stung a lot at work not bee but wasp. I hate them. I live in the Texas Panhandle Windy put cold or hot with windy and you can predict the weather here lol. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Have a good day
Chris

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Hello from Texas
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 09:59:07 pm »

read up on the note about cut outs on the swarm portion of the forum and feed, feed, feed.  A bawseball sized batch of bees can be nursed back to full health but it's going to be an uphill battle, especially this time of year.  I wish you the best.  Michale Bush's website is a fountain of beekeeping info for the experienced as well as the novice.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 10:23:39 pm »
Welcome Chris! You will enjoy this site and learn a lot about lots of things, warning, it gets crazy in here sometimes! Of course in a good way.

The small colony that got sprayed may have lost their queen but if they haven't you could try and save them. As Brian pointed out it will be an uphill battle but you may be able to save them with lots of feeding. I wouldn't mess with them if they don't have a queen though because they are essentially doomed.

I wish you well with the package you ordered, I can almost feel your excitement, welcome to a wonderful and meaningful hobby.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 11:26:44 pm »
Welcome aboard Chris.  I think you may find beekeeping addictive.  One swarm, two swarm, three....

David

Offline chrisld

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 09:42:31 pm »
Thanks for the welcome.

I have found Michale Bush's site and have emailed him about the bees. This is why I have decided to order bees. I do hope the hive does survive but I am not waiting of them this is why I will order a package. I am looking so forward to this. I'm getting the peepeepants with anticpation of the arrival of the spring. This is going to be so much fun.

Have a great day
Chris

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 10:03:51 am »
Chris sit down buckle up and enjoy the ride. The first year for me was a roller coaster of a ride. Now I'm in my first winter and it's a hole new story for me. I just sit and wait for day's warm enough for my bees to fly. The people here have been a great help and a support. Some here are real jokester's witch brings life to the form I enjoy every one here. I'm sure you will fit in and learn allot from the people here.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 11:47:11 am »
Welcome Chris. I guess there is no better way of starting off the new year than getting into bees....  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 02:43:00 pm »
Chris welcome to our forum, this can be a place where you can learn alot, a place to tell us your stories and experiences.  Wait until you get your bees, that will be a day worth waiting for.  Stick around, here you too will make new friends.  Have a wonderful day, great life, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 11:42:20 pm »
Hello and Welcome Chris
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Offline Derek

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 03:38:48 pm »
Guns up Chris!

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 07:58:28 pm »
Hello and Welcome Chris
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny