Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: building hives...what power tools do i need?  (Read 9831 times)

Offline filmmlif

• House Bee
building hives...what power tools do i need?
« on: June 15, 2004, 11:39:09 pm »
ok, i took woodworking in high school so i'm not a total novice with power tools. i want to build my own hives, hoping to save money. i've found the plans in this forum but i'm not sure what power tools i will need to buy in order to build complete hive. i planning on garage sales or whatever to fill my needs. can anyone help me with my power tool wish list? thanks in advance.

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 12:46:05 am »
Rob? Al? Come on now.... step up to the plate. I don't dare answer this. I know what the tools look like, but not the names. :)
I hate to classify myself this way...... but in some ways I'm just a typical red headed female.  :oops: You can put me in a crowded room and I'll know just how to get around.... but stick me in a workshop and ask for a tool?? You'd be asking for trouble. :) LOL

Beth

Offline filmmlif

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 12:47:33 am »
thanks beth...your always there to support. tom

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 12:51:52 am »
No problemo..... they'll see the post tommorrow and get ya all set up. :)

Beth

Offline snowzerdog

• House Bee
hives
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 08:17:59 am »
If all you want to do is build hive bodies and supers all you need is a table saw if you want to do lap joints.  If you build your own frames you need a router,  jigsaw, or scroll saw.  I suggest buying frames.  I made my hives and supers with only a table saw.  When I put them together I drilled pilot holes for the nails,   then figured I could use 1 3/4 inch deck screws.  Don't forget the glue to make them stronger.  And predrill even with deck screws
God doesn't owe you anything, but you owe everything to God!

Offline filmmlif

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 08:21:03 am »
snow, what about for the box joints?

Offline snowzerdog

• House Bee
box joints
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 09:28:46 am »
Someone, Robo I think, has a post for a jig to make box joints on a table saw.  You will meed a set of dado blades.  Lap joints screwed and glued should be just as strong though and easier to make.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 09:32:28 am »
A tablesaw or radial arm saw is pretty much all you need.

You can make box joints with a tablesaw using a jig.  There are many plans out on the interent.

I built the one from WOOD magazine and am happy with it.

If you are going to build one, spend the extra time to build one with adjustment.  There are some real simple ones to build, but unless you get the pin the exact size of your dado blade, AND in the right position, your box joints won't come out right, and you have no choice but to start over and build another jig.

If your interested in building the one from WOOD magazine, PM me and I can give you some more details.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 08:51:49 am by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline asleitch

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 09:32:28 am »
As with anything, you can spend as little or as much as you like.

Having a table saw is a major plus, although you could get away with a hand-held circular saw, and straight edge, such as some metal tube to act as a straight guide to run the saw against.

You need to decide how to make the corners - comb joints, (finger joints) not sure what your US term is, require a lot more equipment, typically a router, and a finger joint jig, or you can cut finger joints on a tablesaw.

If you are going for simpler construction, you can either joint the sides with nails, or screws - screws would be preferred. They last longer. I'd glue everything with outdoor glue as well. You could use a biscuit jointer to make the edges, but I suspect it wouldn't be anything close to as resilient in the long term, and susceptable to breaking even, if the hive was full.

Although it sounds obvious, a good square is essential to ensuring everything is made up accurately.

If you want to do slightly more sophisticated work, a router is useful for making hand-holds, rebates etc.

Just my thoughts.

Adam

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 09:43:02 am »
You could also do this with a table router
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline snowzerdog

• House Bee
hive corner jig
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 01:53:35 pm »
Sorry Robo.  I found the post on making rabbet corners for hives  only it came from Ross.  Sorry all my mistake, He does have a link to his site.  you can find it in the tell about yourself.  Or check out the search feature.  Thanks beemaster.  I feel like a idiot :wink:

Offline mattoleriver

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2004, 01:55:57 pm »
i want to build my own hives, hoping to save money.

I was able to buy unassembled boxes cheaper than I could buy the same quality lumber to make them myself.  The biggest problem with the manufactured boxes is the price of shipping can be as much, or more than, the price of the boxes.  Check with Dadant in Paris, TX, shipping may not be too bad for that distance.  If you just want an excuse to buy tools, go for it!
George

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: hive corner jig
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2004, 03:36:28 pm »
Quote from: snowzerdog
Sorry Robo.  I found the post on making rabbet corners for hives  only it came from Ross.  Sorry all my mistake, He does have a link to his site.  you can find it in the tell about yourself.  Or check out the search feature.  Thanks beemaster.  I feel like a idiot :wink:

Don't worry about it.  I didn't even realize it until you just pointed it out.  Maybe I should feel like the idiot for thinking I had posted something previously :wink:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline adamant

• House Bee
Re: building hives...what power tools do i need?
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 11:35:15 pm »
bump

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 01:46:30 am »
here we go. I'll put my 2 cents in :-D
All I use to build my boxes is a 18 volt cordless circular saw with the guide arm and a cordless drill. plus use guerrilla glue. ( guerrilla glue is the strongest I have found for the money. It expands to fill voids and is stronger than the wood around the joint.) I use freight boxes that are made of untreated pine. just use make them before the wood gets warpedand seal them. order frames(they are not Worth the time or money to make) (( I've tried.))predrill your holesfor screw's.get your paint from box stores. they always have mistakes in mixing dirt cheap. get the exterior paint. put half in a bucket and thin it out by half to make a wash. paint them with the wash to get in the wood then 2nd coat them with the non diluted paint for the final coat.

good luck and have fun :chop:

john

Offline adamant

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 06:33:23 am »
here we go. I'll put my 2 cents in :-D
All I use to build my boxes is a 18 volt cordless circular saw with the guide arm and a cordless drill. plus use guerrilla glue. ( guerrilla glue is the strongest I have found for the money. It expands to fill voids and is stronger than the wood around the joint.) I use freight boxes that are made of untreated pine. just use make them before the wood gets warpedand seal them. order frames(they are not Worth the time or money to make) (( I've tried.))predrill your holesfor screw's.get your paint from box stores. they always have mistakes in mixing dirt cheap. get the exterior paint. put half in a bucket and thin it out by half to make a wash. paint them with the wash to get in the wood then 2nd coat them with the non diluted paint for the final coat.

good luck and have fun :chop:

john
john, so u use a basic butt joint on the boxes?

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 07:15:48 pm »
yes. my uncle used butt joints on all his hives way back. he had no problem with them. as long as you washed and painted them good. he had some that lasted 7-10 years before he would replace them. mostly due to handling damage. little to no rotting.(most were made of cedar tho)