Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Protein Tub Cutout  (Read 2266 times)

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
Protein Tub Cutout
« on: April 09, 2012, 07:08:53 pm »
I did a cutout over the weekend in my neighbors equipment barn.  There was an upside down protein tub next to a stack of alfalfa bales.  Some of his grandkids were playing on the hay bales.  One of them fell off onto the tub and got stung up by a few bees.  Apparently some of the comb fell off inside the tub.  Two weeks later I found emerging brood from some of that fallen comb.  I found that interesting.  Got all of the salvagable comb into frames and into a hive.  All I have is before and after pics.  I was too busy and in the middle of it to take pics while I was doing it. One of these days I need to learn how to make fancy videos that meet what has become Beemaster standards.  Checked them today and they were coming and going, still bringing in pollen.  I have a place to move them later this week.

http://s972.photobucket.com/albums/ae204/beyondthesidewalks/Juha%20Protein%20Tub%20Coutout/

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
Re: Protein Tub Cutout
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 07:21:59 pm »
Reminds me of an old school skep... looks like a nice healthy lot.  Did you get alot to go into frames?  The pics make it look like there was a bunch of odd shaped pieces?  Nice save regardless.  ^5
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 09:54:01 pm »
Yes, it was a mish-mash of comb.  Managed to fit it all in 10 frames.  I'm 8 frame so I needed that second hive body.  Managed to save all the brood except for the cells I had to cut to fit it in frames.  There was a considerable amount of pollen but not much honey.  I imagine they used up all they had saved making that new comb.  Most of that fallen comb is waiting its turn in the solar wax melter.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 10:28:48 pm »
Funny, you could fill the tub with feed and feed the whole hive back as protein to the cattle.   I just thought that was funny.  Ya, all that comb looked like it was a pain to frame.   

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 10:49:20 pm »
good job.were they gentle bees?        ......schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 11:39:30 pm »
I was expecting them to be kinda mean after what they'd been through but they were tame for the most part.  No stings.  We worked them barehanded but had suits and veils on.  Gloves were nearby if they got out of hand.  Probably didn't need any protective clothing in retrospect.