Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: frame 'dis-assembly'  (Read 2718 times)

Offline binglis

• New Bee
frame 'dis-assembly'
« on: April 16, 2007, 08:52:43 am »
Hello everyone,
I have purchased four more hive bodies, and will be setting three of them up this spring. They came with older frames, that have foundation that cannot be used (torn, holes, etc...).
What is the easiest way to 'dis-assemble' the frame, so I can install new foundation....
Thanking you in Advance,
Binglis

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: frame 'dis-assembly'
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 09:31:34 am »
Is the foundation wax or something else, and what kind of foundation do you want to put back in?
I have been replacing my old wax foundation with plastic, So I just scrape the wax out of the grooves and pop in my plastic. 

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 10:03:30 am »
If the old frames are filled with plastic, as Michael Bush told me, push hard and you can pop it out.  I actually found that difficult and used a tool to help me, as he also suggested, by pushing in the center of the foundation with a putty knife until I could pop it out.

If it is wax foundation, you can cut it out.  You don't need to take apart the frames.  Then you can put it in the hives and let them use the remnants as starter strips or you can wax in new wax foundation.

FWIW,

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 08:57:19 pm »
If it's wax and it's solid, I just give it to the bees.  If it's wax and eaten up by moths, I cut out the comb and try to leave a little at the top for them to follow and don't use foundation. If you really want foundation, just use a small screwdriver (or buy a hive cleaning tool) and scrape out the grooves and bend the foundation and pop it in.  Do not disassemble the frames.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything