Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: what if u are transporting hives at night and a few tip over on the trailer  (Read 1921 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
what if u are transporting hives at night and a few tip over on the trailer-on to the trailer.

1. my in-stinks tells me to make sure the load is secure and reorganize them at the destination!
i was involved in a situation a few nights ago where a few hives came loose and tipped over. we did not stop till we are at our destination ,we organized the best we could by climbing on the hives,  unloaded them with the skid steer . we found out that some of the hives are not on the pallet straight and the guy wanted to straighting them up that night.. i felt it was a wrong thing to do and i suggested that he continue in the sun light which he did!

what would you have done?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Tipped over, open hives, at night is a nightmare.  I don’t do a lot of hive moving, but I’ve had a lot of my foam hives come apart when trailering them.  Thousands of bees from multiple hives end up massing all over the trailer floor.  At night the bees crawl.  I don’t like bees crawling on me, it’s too easy to get stung.  I have been surprised how well the bees have recovered in the daylight.  Had to leave the trailer at the yard many times, but eventually the bees seemed to all find their hive (or some hive?) to join after the chaos.

I think you made the right call, but I’m not an expert on transporting bees; far from it!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
I helped two friends move a rotten hive one night. We taped it up we thought. To make a long story short, the hive came apart a little. All I did was hold the light. They ate us up! That light was a homing device.

Good Luck,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Working with red lights helps in the dark. Another recommendation,dont split boxes apart for a few days before transport. The propolis helps keep them stuck together.
Were you using migratory covers? I know you have a hard time pushing them close enough together with telescoping covers,giving extra opportunity for movement and shifting.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
As far as what would I have done? It depends how far  I had to travel and temps.  You could have skunks and coons leaving them disassembled all night. But if I waited,I would surely reassemble at first light.

anything