Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: serious graphics card stress!!!!!  (Read 4693 times)

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
serious graphics card stress!!!!!
« on: December 09, 2010, 09:45:23 pm »
 :'(

i have an hp pavillon desktop.  wanted to upgrade the graphics card to geforce 8400.  should be a minor thing.  disabled onboard graphics in BIOS and device manager.  loaded drivers for new card.  computer won't accept.  says conflict and when i plug into the card, monitor goes to sleep.  i have tried every trick i know, so i must be missing something.  the card should be compatible. 

any ideas?  this should be a simple thing!!!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: serious graphics card stress!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 12:15:56 pm »
Im not really sure what to tell you. I tried searching for possible conflicts but really dont see any, at least posted on Google. To me it seems like the conflict is coming from the switching off the onboard video. I have never had onboard video so I do not have the experience there. Have you tried to just plug in the video card without switching the onboard to off? Also make sure you have the correct version of video card that goes with the computer, such as pci, pci express, 2.0, x16, agp. Im sure you checked that prior but Im just tryig to come up with ideas. Il keep looking for you. What type of Hp do you have, it might help with our search?

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 12:20:30 pm »
Just thought of another thing. What about Direct X. Is your video card direct x10 and maybe the computer is running direct x9. Not sure if that would conflict or not but maybe.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 12:50:11 pm »
Shawn, thank.

yes, i have done it without disabling, disabling, starting over...you know the drill  :-D

in the mean time...while climbing around on the floor under the desk...i realized that one problem is my power supply.  it's not adequate for the needs of the new card.

as it happens, my youngest left his (at the time) super desktop upstairs.  while the cards, etc. are outdated, the power supply is awesome.  i will swap it out today.  it is the only thing i have not tried and was a suggestion on one of the geek boards.  :-D

i'll update after i do that.  once again, KISS may have struck me upside the head  :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 10:57:46 am »
Did it work Kathy.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 12:04:26 pm »
nope and i even tried a different card.  in the process of updating/upgrading, i cooked my bios, so now i will be buying a new motherboard and making myself a new computer.

NEVER buy a desktop computer with integrated crap!!!!!!! 

i have stolen  my husbands laptop.  he bought a new one and doesn't have it all set up, but left this one home and unattended :evil:

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 03:25:13 pm »

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 05:02:01 pm »
been there and on the asus site and the  hp site.   :-D  common problem.  some people fix it.  some don't.  i think my husband thinks i killed the computer on purpose.   :-D  on the + side, now i can build  the one i want....

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 04:06:31 pm »
Sorry to here about the computer. But I do agree on the plus side. I was also thinking of building a new one but as of right now there are no new games that I want to play to justify the computer I want to build. Happy building and have fun buying!

anything