Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Problem with nail gunning frames  (Read 3222 times)

Offline madscientist

• New Bee
Problem with nail gunning frames
« on: March 07, 2010, 12:02:51 pm »
I bought a pneumatic nail gun to make assembling frames faster.  It's not going faster because the nails keep coming out the sides of the verticals. It doesn't seem to matter how straight my aim is - some fraction of the tip of the nail ends up coming out the side...
 I'm using 18 gauge 1 1/4 inch nails. Should I switch to a thicker or shorter nail? Would staples work better?

Offline b reeves

• House Bee
Re: Problem with nail gunning frames
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 12:13:37 pm »
Staples work great
Bob

Offline madscientist

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 12:16:01 pm »
Thanks! What size? Do they drift or bend and come out the sides?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 12:19:20 pm »
Try turning the gun 90degrees. The chisel tip on the nails tends to follow the grain of the wood and by turning the gun it will follow a different path.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 03:09:22 pm »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 05:24:08 pm »
also check your pressure.  i have had that problem with the pressure was to low.  as said, the nail will follow the grain of the wood especially if there is not enough force to drive it straight.

i nail my boxes and staple my frames. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 05:28:01 pm »
Staples on the frames or 1" brads. I use staples on all my frames now.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 07:26:32 pm »
Shorter or thicker or both will help.  I use 1 inch staples and glue. But if I didn't already have a stapler I would just use 1 inch nails.  It takes practice.  Get some side cutters and nip off the ones that split out.  The bees won't care.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 08:34:38 pm »
I have the problem periodically.. but I am using one inch 20g so that might be the difference.  How many are you putting in the bottom rail?  just curious  I put one on each side of the split plus a dab of glue of course.
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

anything