Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding time  (Read 1277 times)

Offline mat299

• New Bee
Feeding time
« on: February 17, 2014, 10:14:27 pm »
Ok guys.  Is it going to start to warm up here in north georgia now?  I was wondering when you guys thought I would be able to start feeding and getting my hives ready for spring.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Feeding time
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 11:16:13 pm »
I would say you need to look in your hives and see if they need feed!  If they don't have a frame or two of capped fodder, it is time to start feeding.  Hives brooding up can starve in a heart beat and I imagine yours are.  The ground is still frozen here. 

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 06:56:32 am »
Hey Matt, (love your neck of the woods) As you can see I'm in central Alabama and 10framer is due east of me. He just posted a thread about feeding. I've been feeding off and on for about 3 weeks. When I went in to check it then I was concern about the lack of stores so I started. This is my first year as a beekeeper(that's a warning) but I'd feed. I mix 2 sugar to 1 water with a spoon of apple cider vinegar to balance the ph the way the bees need it.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline stanisr

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 11:22:51 am »
Check your hives, I just lost a double deep that I thought was ok, due to starvation. They were flying and looking good 3 weeks ago, but when it warmed up this week they were dead. I looked in the hive to find no honey stores. They had began building up and simply ran out of food. I looked in my other hives to find them dangerously low on honey so I began feeding.
Rick

anything