Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New to forums and beekeeping.  (Read 3216 times)

Offline Rebecka

• New Bee
New to forums and beekeeping.
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:17:05 am »
Greetings All! <p> My husband and I have been 'talking' for several years about getting into beekeeping. This year, we decided to just do it. We ordered a starter kit off the internet and he was kind enough to provide info on a local place to get a nuc. We are mead makers and it did not take us long to discover that store bought clover honey is over refined and bland compared to what we could get from local bee keepers. We feel beekeeping is a natural progression and are both very excited. Whats held us back is fear, fear for lack of information. However, we quickly discovered, there is no shortage of information to be had. Just a shortage of time to get it all absorbed. Our hive and starter kit stuffs will arrive  in a few days and we pick up our nuc at the end of next month. Our starter kit comes with basic supplies, hive with 3 supers and a beginners book :)  If anyone can recommend other things we might need and not realize yet, we would be ever so grateful. <p>Blessings, Rebecka

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: New to forums and beekeeping.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 11:22:04 am »
Being a new Beek myself, my only recomendation would be to bookmark this site and read it religiously.  Any questions that you may have, I am sure, will either be in a recent post or could be found through the sites search feature.  Good luck on your endeavor.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 01:03:16 pm »
Hello and Welcome!

This is a great forum for learning more about bees and beekeeping. Be sure to check out the tutorials on the main Beemaster page - that's where I started a half dozen years ago.

Have you taken any beginning beekeeping classes? There are usually several around the state during the fall and winter - not so much this time of year. I know it's short notice and a bit of a drive (Morgantown), but Roger Graham has a class scheduled for April 17. I've taken a number of classes from him over the years and can recommend him highly:
http://www.grahamsbeeworks.com/Classes/tabid/59/Default.aspx

I also recommend getting involved with a beekeeping club. The Sugar Creek club usually meets in Rockville. They're having a field clinic May 1st. You could learn a lot there. That club is led by Steve & Pam Hauser - good folks; they'd be happy to help you get started.
http://www.in.gov/dnr/entomolo/files/ep-2010_Indiana_Beekeeping_Meetings.pdf

I'd also like to invite you the State beekeepers meeting June 19th. We hold our summer meeting at the Purdue beeyards. It's always a fun meeting, with much to see and learn. Details will be posted on the website once we get further along in the planning:
http://www.hoosierbuzz.com/

Lastly, Kathleen Prough is our State Apiary Inspector. She's a very helpful person to know and has been updating her website with lots of useful info:
http://www.in.gov/dnr/entomolo/2893.htm

Keep us posted on your progress!

Offline Rebecka

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 11:00:33 am »
Oh wow! Thank you so much for all the great info! Rockville is not far from here at all and knowing there is a local club eases many of my concerns. I am so worried I am in over my head.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 11:11:21 am »
am so worried I am in over my head.

you are, but so are we all.  welcome to the world of beekeeping :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 12:58:48 pm »
KathyP, you are so encouraging and correct!  LOL   

Offline Rebecka

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 01:09:01 pm »
LOL. There is much comfort to be found in realism. I've read so much recently, I believe my brain is the consistency of protoplasmic goo. My beloved keeps telling me to relax, we have plenty of time. My brain responds with " Omg! are you kidding, we have less than 5 weeks to learn everything there is to know!" of course, thats not what I say. I say, Okay baby. I will try. He , of course knows better :)

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 09:39:35 pm »
Beekeeping isn't fun until you are in over your head :-D
Welcome and enjoy the forum, you will learn alot here.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 11:48:18 pm »
Everything there is to know????????????????

I have been at it for well over 30 years and would like to think I know 5% of everything there is to know, but I really don't. The old stuff, I forget. The new stuff happens too fast for me to keep up. I guess I'll just keep plugging along in the dark.

IT'S FUN, THO.

Welcome to the forum. There's a bunch of good folks here, plus me.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 11:52:08 am »
Rebecca, welcome to our forum, so wonderful you found us.  This will be a place where you can spend the most awesome of time, a place for learning, telling stories, tales and experiences, you can also make many new friends.  Stick around, we love new members, have that beautiful and most awesome day, of love and health. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 04:02:21 pm »
you're in the right place, keep your eyes open for the much more experienced beekeepers to post their sites. The ones that come first to mind are Robo and Michael Bush, but there are others. I'll be checking out the sites indypartridge just posted myself.
Edit: Whoops, nevermind, those were Indiana specific. (Brian DeBray is another -but he doesn't have a site.)
be happy and make others happy.

anything