Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Price of honey (lb) in your area  (Read 19754 times)

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
Re: Price of honey (lb) in your area
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2014, 04:46:16 pm »
I have a big barrel of honey.

I fill a fancy jar with honey from the barrel and top it off with a gold lid and a nice label.

I fill an old scratched jar with a dented tarnished lid from the same barrel.

Same honey different package .

Which one will sell, and get a better price? Which one will taste better?

Its all in the mind

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2014, 05:53:23 pm »
I fill a fancy jar with honey from the barrel and top it off with a gold lid and a nice label.
Its all in the mind

And I am still trying to find some of those fancy lids on this side of the pond :)
John 3:16

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2014, 08:37:02 pm »
edward even in my day job it's all about perception.  some of my competitors are as good or better than me but my clients feel like i'm doing the best for them.  it's more or less the same.
sc, if you can't find them you can make pretty round labels that will stick to the regular old lid.  
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:40:51 pm by 10framer »

Offline BumbbleBee

• New Bee
Re:
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2014, 10:27:25 am »
Around $3 per kilogram, retail.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2014, 11:33:36 am »

Its all in the mind

Bullseye.  I used to think I couldn't get the premium price when I first started.  Then I ran into Savannah Honey.  $22 for a piece of comb honey, $12 for a pound of liquid honey.  I want that.  All they are selling is honey, just like what we offer but in unique packaging.  I decided to focus on professional labeling, packaging, and unique, premium products.  It's the little things (like lids) that help your product stand out.  I bumped my retail prices 20% and sold out of 2K pounds in 5 months.  Almost quadrupled my gross sales.  My GM% went from 8 to 51%.  I'll probably bump my list prices another 10-20% this year so I don't sell out in 5 months and offer even more premium products.  If you want more $ for your honey, you've got to figure out how to get it.  It's not easy, but that's why not everyone gets it.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2014, 03:59:20 pm »
so I don't sell out in 5 months

This is an big indicator of if you are selling you honey under the price you can get for it.

If you run out many months beefore the next harvest you most likely need to see over the price you are selling your honey.

If you don't think your honey should cost more buy a notebook and record everything you do under a year connected to bees, hives, honey, gas, driving, beekeeping clubs activities, beekeeping courses, hive, box,frame,building bee purchase, new queens and selling the honey.
Don't forget the notebook and pen  ;)

After you take all this into account no one will bee able to afford to buy your honey if you charge minimum wage for your efforts.

mvh Edward

Moots

« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2014, 04:44:52 pm »

If you don't think your honey should cost more buy a notebook and record everything you do under a year connected to bees, hives, honey, gas, driving, beekeeping clubs activities, beekeeping courses, hive, box,frame,building bee purchase, new queens and selling the honey.
Don't forget the notebook and pen  ;)

After you take all this into account no one will bee able to afford to buy your honey if you charge minimum wage for your efforts.

mvh Edward

Edward,
As I think I mentioned before, I sell my 1 1b. for $7 and my 3 lb. for $18....which is more than most charge is this area, but I felt it was worth it.  I'm sold out and didn't have anyone blink at the price I was charging.  But your story makes a good point...I have a friend/co-worker who likes to give me a bad time (just joking of course) about charging him retail for my honey.  The other day he told me he thought I should sell it to him at cost...I told him that if I charged hiim cost, it would cost him a lot more than $7 a pound.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2014, 05:19:25 pm »
If you run out early you can Always import some locally produced honey to sell  :roll:

Do they make local honey in china?

Or is your locally produced honey a special and rare thing that cant bee bought at the bargin basement big grocery store at a ridiculously low price?

Its like apples and oranges, both a fruits, but they are not the same product.

mvh Edward  :-P

anything