Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Virgin Queen  (Read 2524 times)

Offline reid36

• Brood
Virgin Queen
« on: May 21, 2010, 05:50:23 pm »
I was looking at my hives yesterday and also a nuc that had been queenless for over a week because the queen cell that was in there turned out to be empty even though it was sealed.  When I separated the two deep boxes on the larger hive a queen swarm cell split open and a new queen backed out of the cell.  I picked her up and placed her into the queenless nuc.  She was investigated by a couple of bees when she was placed on top of the frame but they did not bother her and she disappeared down onto the comb.  My question is this, do you think that she will survive and be accepted?  I figured I had nothing to lose and it was a gut shot reaction. 

Thanks,
Reid

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
Re: Virgin Queen
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 01:16:03 pm »
Nobody can answer this question! Just WAIT and see.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 01:21:17 pm »
I'd say her chances are pretty good.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 01:22:06 pm »
How did her wings look? Were they well-formed/complete looking?
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 01:22:17 pm »
there is always an answer.  in this case, the answer is maybe....  :evil:

if she was mature, she will probably survive the workers.  if she survives the mating flight, you'll have a queen.  

the fact that they didn't go after her is a good sign the they will accept her.  seems that they take to virgin queens more easily.  you'll often have several in a hive and the workers don't care.  
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline reid36

• Brood
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 01:52:08 pm »
Her wings looked good.  Actually she looked really good overall.  I will try to keep you posted.  It would be great if it works.

anything