Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Outer Cover is getting stuck!  (Read 3532 times)

Offline Diane

• New Bee
Outer Cover is getting stuck!
« on: May 15, 2009, 10:16:04 am »
Hi all,  I'll preface this with... I'm a new beekeeper.   :)  The outer cover on both of my new hives is very hard to take off and one of them won't go back on all the way.  I was lucky that I had the cover on the upper deep with no frames as I'm feeding new packages now.  I painted the inside of the inner cover, but maybe I should not have done this.  I followed the painting instructions in the 'Beekeeping for Dummies' book.  In any case, what can I do now to fix them?  Do I have to sand them?  How should I fix this?

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
Re: Outer Cover is getting stuck!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 10:24:55 am »
Your outer cover should have 3/8 to 1/2 in slop all the way around !
The 1/2 in provides a top vent-escape when used with the notch in your top cover.
It does not fit tight, that's why you use a brick or big rock on top.

Sure your bees are not glueing it down

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 10:51:22 am »
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Diane

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 11:29:00 am »
Thanks Bee-Bop and JP.  Would I be able to see the propolis on the board and would that prevent me from putting the cover back on?  I didn't see anything on the cover but the next time I check on the bees I'll feel it to see if it is sticky. 

Bee-Bop, what do you mean by 'slop'?

Thanks again!

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 12:55:22 pm »
Diane yes you should be able to see the propolis. It will look tar like with variations in color. If you can't see anything it makes me think your top might not fit correctly

Keith

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 01:07:27 pm »
Yes you can see propolis it looks like a dark hard wax. The slop he is talking about is the "extra space" you should have between the inner and outer cover. For instance your inner cover should measure 16 1/4"x 19 7/8", so the inside of your top cover should be around 18 1/4"x 21 7/8" ("extra space"), could even be as low as 17 1/4"x 18 7/8

Thanks Bee-Bop and JP.  Would I be able to see the propolis on the board and would that prevent me from putting the cover back on?  I didn't see anything on the cover but the next time I check on the bees I'll feel it to see if it is sticky. 

Bee-Bop, what do you mean by 'slop'?

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 06:38:04 am by contactme_11 »

Offline Diane

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 06:06:06 pm »
Thanks Keith13 and Contactme_11, I don't see any propolis so I think my cover doesn't fit correctly.  I'll have to figure out a way to fix it.  Thanks for the measurements too. 

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 07:21:19 pm »
most of the time new painted equipment will want to stick together, next time you take the top off get some dry dust or dirt and rub under the lid where they inter-cover touches it or around the top edges of the intercover,  it just the new paint wanting to stick together. just remember to dump the dirt before you put it back on the hive  ;)
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 08:44:45 am »
I understand the sticking thing, but if you cannot get the cover back on, it sounds like the interior dimension of the cover is too close to the exterior dimension of the hive.  Did you build this or have it built for you, or did you order it from a major supplier?

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 01:25:32 am »
take a sander or planer to the end pieces and take a little wood off.  just enough to make it fit easily and give a little space in case you use an inner cover with an upper entrance. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Diane

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 03:56:41 pm »
Thanks all!  I purchased the equipment from BetterBee and the cover was already assembled.  I only put together the boxes, but those fit together fairly easy with the notches.  I will try the dirt and also the planer if the dirt doesn't work.  Thanks again, I appreciate it.  I'm heading out there today.