Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: pure black bees?  (Read 10955 times)

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
Re: pure black bees?
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 07:42:19 am »
Thanks for the pic, looks quite similar to the blackbees we've been seeing around here.  We live in the woods surrounded mostly by forest and lakes, where the closest known Beek is 5 or more miles away, She has Italians.  In fact all the beeks I know w/in 20 miles have Italians. 

I've yet to see one of these black girls at any of my hives, but am looking forward to capturing a swarm of them someday.

t
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 09:07:09 am »
Black bees are somewhat common around our farm, and they were around before I started beekeeping. I can't say where the black bees are coming from, or what genetics are in them, but I can tell you where they are not coming from. I don't have any in my hives, and there are not any apiaries currently within  8 miles of my apiary.

This it was taken in spring when I was first getting started with no honey to rob. They were working the dandelions over pretty good too.

So my assumption is that it is from a feral colony somewhere not more than a mile or so as there where plenty of pollen and nectar sources available at the time this was taken. It would be great if I could find the colony and see what percentage are black. My guess it that I would find a mix of colors, with good genetics. Finding the queen would prove interesting I'm sure. Maybe I will be able to find this mystical source someday!  :-D
Yep, that is what they look like
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 01:34:54 pm »
How about calling them "Black Feral Mutts" :)
Ron Babcock

"I believe the good that men do, will live long after they gone."
                                                                                                                          ~Mr. Fox Haas

<

Offline phrasmotic

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 02:08:42 pm »
It would be interesting to know if these black bees are in fact more hardy or pest resistant than other feral (or domestic) bees.  Or are they simply just a different color?

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 10:27:53 am »
It would be interesting to know if these black bees are in fact more hardy or pest resistant than other feral (or domestic) bees.  Or are they simply just a different color?
Exactly
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 10:42:08 am »
Well, I'm reasonably certain that the ones I see are coming from the woods of Northern Wisconsin (not from some mystery beek).  If anything tells me they're a hardy bee, surviving our winters sure does, even one.

t
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 06:44:50 pm »
There are a lot of all black bees in most all of my hives.  They are not the majority but they are not hard to find.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 10:33:39 pm »
During inspections in early summer a few of my hives had some black bees just like your picture. When they were spotted i had to do a double take for i thought at first glance they were black wasp.

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2012, 11:17:35 am »
Next year I plan to try my hand at queen rearing. It will be interesting to see if any of those genetics are passed on to some of the workers, but long as they are docile, hardy, and good producers I am not concerned as to their color.

For myself the allure of black bees is just because they are more of an oddity. Similarly, black squirrels are not very common around here so they stand out and people take notice of them.
Ron Babcock

"I believe the good that men do, will live long after they gone."
                                                                                                                          ~Mr. Fox Haas

<