Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Reusing old solid bottom boards  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Reusing old solid bottom boards
« on: December 26, 2006, 03:44:02 pm »
So, yupppp, much confusion over SBB in my mind.  Some say yes, some say no.  I am getting the impression that the SBB is a good way to go, and this will be implemeted this year by me.

But, now, and I have mentioned this before, I have 12 solid BB.  It was posted by a member that there is always something that can be done with these solid ones.

My thought on the matter would be.  Instead of making all new SBB, would it not be a a thought to entertain to simply remove the solid part of the bottomboards, attach the hardware cloth to it, leaving, the front alighting board intact.  This would serve the purpose of the SBB in my mind.

Can anyone give a good reason why that would be a negative aspect of simply altering the existing solid bottomboard?  The bottomboards are a fairly expensive part of the hive set up.

Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Jorn Johanesson

Re: Reusing old solid bottom boards
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 03:56:31 pm »
So, yupppp, much confusion over SBB in my mind.  Some say yes, some say no.  I am getting the impression that the SBB is a good way to go, and this will be implemeted this year by me.

But, now, and I have mentioned this before, I have 12 solid BB.  It was posted by a member that there is always something that can be done with these solid ones.

My thought on the matter would be.  Instead of making all new SBB, would it not be a a thought to entertain to simply remove the solid part of the bottomboards, attach the hardware cloth to it, leaving, the front alighting board intact.  This would serve the purpose of the SBB in my mind.

Can anyone give a good reason why that would be a negative aspect of simply altering the existing solid bottomboard?  The bottomboards are a fairly expensive part of the hive set up.

Great day. Cindi

If you can mange to let the BB remaining be a frame, then just staple the hardware clothe to it, and do what you was writing about letting the front intact. Do not count on using the cloth as a varroa treatment but use it as ventilation. In your BC climate with a lot of damp and the like, ventilation is what you need. I myself have always just used it as ventilation, never counted on using it for varroa treatment.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 04:19:29 pm »
Jorn, thank you for reply.  That is my agenda.  my thoughts were not to use as a varroa treatment, but for ventilation treatment.  I have other things in mind to combat the varroa, it is my enemy and it will not dwell among my bees.  The picture of the varroa and the lesser mite made me want to go even a deeper mission to keep the destructor away from my apiary. 

I feel terrible that this other lesser mite has taken hold on many apiaries, sustaining even worse damage than the destructor.  I do not see any reason why these two blood suckers were put on this earth, (along with any other type of parasite).  Can't see their reason for life, but I guess there must be something that is good about them, don't know what, but they must serve some purpose. Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 09:00:56 pm »
Depending on the structure of the bottom board, it may be easy to convert to a SBB or very difficult.

I still use solid bottom boards when setting up a hive as an open pollen feeder.  I still use them sometimes on top to make a top entrance.  I still use them sometimes on a struggling hive that I've reducing down to minimum space and I want minimum draft.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 09:22:54 pm »
Depending on the structure of the bottom board, it may be easy to convert to a SBB or very difficult.

I still use solid bottom boards when setting up a hive as an open pollen feeder.  I still use them sometimes on top to make a top entrance.  I still use them sometimes on a struggling hive that I've reducing down to minimum space and I want minimum draft.

Michael, so that is good.  I will keep some and use them for the applications that you indicated.  I particularly see where it would be good is with the hive that you would like to keep warmer for sure.  Great day.  Cindi

anything