Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm At The ER, Nahhhhh  (Read 3230 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Swarm At The ER, Nahhhhh
« on: May 29, 2008, 09:15:24 pm »
This swarm was about 15' up at Children's Hospital in New Orleans on a live oak.
The queen was hard to spot cause she was darker than normal(whatever that is) and ringed like the other girls.

She was downright shifty as well, made me work really hard to find her.

Was a decent swarm, about 3 and 1/2 lbs worth, perhaps slightly more.

Lots of people had a perfect opportunity to pose seated on the bench right beside them, but I had no takers! Just some chickens! :-D

Oh, and I also included a few pics of another external colony at another location the hospital owns as well, this hive is about 30' up.

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/May292008

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: Swarm At The ER, Nahhhhh
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 10:13:46 pm »
JP, I can't imagine how much equipment you have to collect all these swarms and do all these cutouts. Just amazing!
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 10:38:27 pm »
JP, you are simply the man!!! Simply the man!!
I still have not gotten one call for a cut out or anything.
I think that Utah doesn't have wild bees.
Go figure
Frantz
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 12:32:09 am »
Great picture of you JP sitting with the swarm on that bench. You look so pleased (and thin). I would be pleased also if that happened to me.

Take Care
Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 12:51:41 am »
JP, I can't imagine how much equipment you have to collect all these swarms and do all these cutouts. Just amazing!

If you look at cut-out tools that Brendhan put together, I probably have most of that stuff.

You guys are making me blush, cut it out! ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 01:19:45 am »
Wow, great pics JP! You are truly the swarm King. I do have a question about the Delta box. Why did you switch from Iron Mountain to these new and compact boxes? Does it have to do with the time of the year or size of the swarm?  Good Job JP and as always thanks for sharing.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 01:29:07 am »
Wow, great pics JP! You are truly the swarm King. I do have a question about the Delta box. Why did you switch from Iron Mountain to these new and compact boxes? Does it have to do with the time of the year or size of the swarm?  Good Job JP and as always thanks for sharing.

I didn't even have a box with me but I was in the area when my friend from Terminix called and gave me the lead. He says his policy now is to call me for swarms because he knows it is wrong to kill them. It only took a couple of bottles of honey to pursuade him! He is the big time manager for our area, so its a good connection.

I called this guy Joe that worked at the hospital and explained to him that I was in the area and I could come over and get the swarm under one condition...

That he supply me with a cardboard box to catch the bees in.

He said, no problem!

BTW, it does seem that the bees go in the blue and white boxes faster! :-D Left, right, left right...

...JP