Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wintering hives - Telescoping Covers  (Read 2414 times)

Offline leechmann

• House Bee
Wintering hives - Telescoping Covers
« on: August 20, 2010, 01:14:58 am »
When people winter hives by pushing four hives together, to help keep the warmth in, by reducing the numbers of outside walls, do they use different type of cover? Does anyone have any pictures of this method, and tips you would be willing to share?

Thank You, Leechmann

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Wintering hives - Telescoping Covers
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 01:51:53 am »
i only use migratory covers.  cheaper and versatile.  i also don't move my hives although I've been known to throw old horse blankets over them when the wind got up and the temps were in the -.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline mathew

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 02:15:48 am »
When people winter hives by pushing four hives together, to help keep the warmth in, by reducing the numbers of outside walls, do they use different type of cover? Does anyone have any pictures of this method, and tips you would be willing to share?

I am guessing your beekeeping operation is as small as mine (3 hives). I try to reduce cost as much as I can and try not to buy unnecessary equipment. I winter my hives with NOD apiary winter wraps - Bee Cozy. They are about $10 each per wrap and I found them really easy to put on. Its just like slipping on a down jacket over the hive and the quality of the material used is strong. I'll be using the same wraps for this winter.

I'll push my hives closer to each other this year. Since the winter wraps are puffy it covers the space in between hives created by the hive cover.

Google: NOD Apiary or Bee Cozy

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 02:54:29 am »
My covers are the size of the hive:
http://bushfarms.com/beestopentrance.htm#make

Which allows me to pus them together in two rows if I want all tightly together.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 07:30:13 am »
We have here insulated hives. I think that no one push hives together here.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline leechmann

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 12:50:30 pm »
My covers are the size of the hive:
http://bushfarms.com/beestopentrance.htm#make

Which allows me to pus them together in two rows if I want all tightly together.

Michael, I was reading the article that you linked to, and learned that you used typically the top entrances, with  screened bottom board. Do you change bottom boards in the winter, to a solid one?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 12:13:14 am »
>Michael, I was reading the article that you linked to, and learned that you used typically the top entrances, with  screened bottom board.

I'm at the point where they are half and half now.  Half solid and half screened.

> Do you change bottom boards in the winter, to a solid one?

Never.  But I do put a tray in which came with the bottom board.  It's just a sheet of coroplast (the plastic they make political signage out of).
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin