Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarm...recovered added to new hive body...  (Read 2022 times)

Offline justtryintolearnhere

• New Bee
swarm...recovered added to new hive body...
« on: April 16, 2006, 11:08:11 am »
ok had a swarm about 3 weeks ago...caught and placed in new hive body with medium supers...checked the old hive and found queen...2 weeks later inspected both hives...and found both queens and eggs or larvae...does the old queen go right back to laying?  the new queen im sure has to mate so i understand the delay in old hive ...yet the old queen after making the swarm flight and thinning down for that flight does she have to put on the weight again b4 laying? i got anxious and ordered 2 new queens...had a delay in shipment post office messed up and one was dead after six days in mail...the other sure was thirsty and i imagine very stressed...the supplier is allowing me to pick up 2 new ones...can i save the stressed out queen? hurry i need help badly on this one...dont want to lose her i have fed the 5 workers in queen cage with sugar water..and honey...help me with ideas on saving her...and any advice on the previous questions...thanks from south carolina...oh yeah there is a nice nectar flow on now...
just tryin to learn here

manowar422

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 12:21:31 pm »
***2 weeks later inspected both hives...and found both queens
and eggs or larvae...does the old queen go right back to laying?***

I've had one go back to laying after two days, but you must give
them some drawn comb if possible. She can't lay without at least partially
formed cells (1/4" deep or so)

If you found eggs (in the very bottom of the cells) IN BOTH HIVES,
then it would seem that both queens are laying.

***can i save the stressed out queen?***

If one of your hives can spare one frame containing capped brood,
honey and pollen, put the caged queen in a small nuc, let the workers
release her from the cage and watch them closely.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 04:50:10 pm »
The old queen will start laying some as soon as there are cells to lay in, but she won't get back up to speed for somewhere between several days to a couple of weeks.  They have to get her fed back up and she has to start producing eggs again.

The virgin queen won't start laying much at all for two weeks after she emerges and will also pick up speed after that for a little while.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline justtryintolearnhere

• New Bee
i miss-stated a cpl of things
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 10:33:59 am »
man of war/michael bush ...when i inspected hives the queen was there and "no" capped brood or larvae were found...but after posting yesterday the new hive (with frames of drawn comb) now has nice pattern layed by the queen that swarmed....including capped brood and larvae and eggs and saw her also...the swarmed out hive with "virgin" now has some brood and not too good a laying pattern...will she get it going soon? i saw where someone posted it might take the new queen a while to get up to speed...and on the caged queen....can she take a few more days in the cage? feeding her honey and water...i hate to take the frame from the hive with the swarm... thanks for the input guys
just tryin to learn here

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 12:17:40 am »
As long as you have live attendants in the queen cage and you give them a drop of honey and a drop of water every day, you can keep them for weeks.

Once the attendents die you'll need to replace them.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything