Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: All my bees died  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Myron Rotruck

• New Bee
All my bees died
« on: April 19, 2006, 12:39:00 pm »
I don't think I am smart enough to keep bees. I had bought one new hive setup last year, put small swam of feral bees in. they made it though the winter, but then this spring I saw some dead  bees infront of the hive. I went into the hive and found alot of dead bees, with no honey in the combs, but had lots of brood, some capped and some not.  I looked on what bees I had left and still had the queen, and a hand full of workers. So I made up some supar water and started feeding them. within a week or so, I noticed no bees at all flying around the front. I went in to look and all bees were dead. and even the new bees in the comb that were coming out, just as soon as there heads came out of the comb they died right there. I also notice some brown droppings alot in the hive, like maybe they had the scours or something. But since I had put the sugar water in they had put some in the combs. don't know what happened, maybe a comination of serval things. If you could help me out here it sure would be appreciated. I am in the prosess of cleaning out hive and frames, and hoping to find another swam of feral bees. One other thing in me cleaning out my hive should I wash hive out with  some sort of disinfect or something. thanks :(

Offline Scott Derrick

• Expert Bee Handler
  • New Bee
  • Go Gamecocks!!
    • Honeybee Removal Expert Serving South Carolina, Charlotte NC and Augusta GA
Cleaning Hive Parts.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 03:48:06 pm »
Myron,

I am a new beekeeper as well and from what I have heard there are a few different way to make sure you hive it free of disease. First you can mix a 4 to 1 bleach water combination and dip your frames in them for a couple of hours. Let them dry in open air when you are done. This should kill any paracites or disease. The other method I have heard of is taking a propane type torch and running the flame over the inside of the sides of the hive and frames to "scortch" them. There are a few of the "old timers" in our association that do this to "steralize the hive". I have never had to use any of these methods yet due to being so new.

Sorry to hear about your bees. Hope you can figure out what happened to them. I wonder if the majority may have swarmed on you and left the hive without a queen. I know that if this happens you can likely have a laying worker that can only lay drones. This will eventually kill the hive off or render it useless.

Good Luck!
My Bee Removal Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/109455718186385256142
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rsderrick

"You're born. You suffer. You die. Fortunately, there's a loophole."
                                              Billy Graham

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
All my bees died
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 03:54:53 pm »
>I went into the hive and found alot of dead bees, with no honey in the combs

Starvation.

> but had lots of brood, some capped and some not. I looked on what bees I had left and still had the queen, and a hand full of workers. So I made up some supar water and started feeding them.

Good plan.

> within a week or so, I noticed no bees at all flying around the front. I went in to look and all bees were dead. and even the new bees in the comb that were coming out, just as soon as there heads came out of the comb they died right there.

Probably not enough bees left to survive.  They need a certain crtical mass to make it.

> I also notice some brown droppings alot in the hive, like maybe they had the scours or something.

Sounds like the stress eventually may have resulted in Nosema and this probably contributed in the end.

I've heard that vinegar is good for disinfecting for Nosema.  I haven't tried it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin