Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nuc boxes made from Marine Ply  (Read 3095 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Nuc boxes made from Marine Ply
« on: September 30, 2010, 08:35:36 pm »
G'day Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has used marine ply to make nuc boxes before? Do the preservatives negatively impact on the bees?

Kind regards

Oz

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Nuc boxes made from Marine Ply
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 08:51:20 pm »
       I use marine plywood for covers and bottom boards I use no TIN on the top just paint and sum are over 20 years old  ( 4x8 Ft 3/4 In. is a standard size in the USA )

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 09:14:42 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 08:51:36 pm »
Marine plywood is just AA or AB exterior plywood. Sometimes they make it with more laminations to help keep it from warping as much. The biggest advantage for us in the wood shop is that it's available in sizes bigger than the standard 4'x8' (5'x10' for example). Most marine ply here has douglas fir for the exposed laminates...I don't have any idea what you get down under.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 08:56:52 pm »
Thanks Guys,

Our marine ply is made from Hoop Pine - i'll give it a shot! the fact that it's waterproof is very appealing!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 09:03:48 pm »
I'd caution that it still needs some type of protection from the elements for continuous use.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 11:42:47 pm »
Oz; don't know about your ply but our marine ply uses standard (Douglas Fir) plies with no voids (or very minimal) allowed. It's not waterproof although they use waterproof glue. It will still suck up water, especially through the end grain, so it still needs a good paint job if it's to last a long time. Too expensive to use on hives; exterior plywood works just as well.  :-D

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 12:35:26 am »
I had some used BB plyform that I cut up for tops.  Wonderful if a bit heavy.  They stay straight dont warp.  Will probably still be bee hive tops when I am long in the dirt.  Alas! WAY too expensive to go out and buy to make woodenware for a poor boy like me. x
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 09:47:51 am »

I'm with fish stix. I've used exterior plywood and it works fine and is cheaper. Just needs a good coat of paint, but I would think you would need to do that with marine plywood anyway.

David

Offline BrentX

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 02:02:02 pm »
Just last evening I did a quick layout yielding 8 medium 8-frame supers from a single 4X8 sheet.  At that yield one can afford to buy high quality ply and still come out with very economical hives.

I am considering trying hives from 2" high density insulation board.  Similar yield, even allowing for some big finger joints to hold the polystyrene pieces together, and very economical.  This stuff takes paint very nicely, so a good looking hive results, with the potential to last a very long time.

anything