Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hanging Swarms and Queens  (Read 3109 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Hanging Swarms and Queens
« on: May 05, 2008, 03:25:27 pm »
I removed six hanging swarms this pastweek. I only saw one queen, when I tried to pick her up i missed and she flew back into tree. I now have these swarms in boxes w/ undrawn frames(all i have left). They are all flying like crazy, making wax, bringing in pollen, storing nectar etc.  Still haven't seen queens or eggs, brood etc. Will they make a "home" if queen is missing? Am I to presume they are queenright if they are doing all of this work? When should I expect to see eggs under these circumstances?
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Re: Hanging Swarms and Queens
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 09:05:03 pm »
You should see eggs as soon as the cells are half built up. I don't know if that applies to laying workers though which would likely arise in the event of a queen-less swarm.

Offline desmondmegan

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 09:34:29 pm »
they are probably after swarms. i had the same thing happen cough two swarms i could not find the queen but started to see eggs in about 2 weeks. i was able to find the queen then.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 11:47:20 am »
So, some swarms have virgin queens? or all swarms have mated queens? Also, two of my swarms absconded this AM as a foloow up.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 11:55:37 am »
Swarms should lay in about two weeks if there is comb less if all is ideal. Swarms abscond on a regular basis. Thus the reason for queen includers. That is also why you leave them on for two weeks.

Virgin queens in a swarm are a gamble (what in beekeeping isn't?). If you lock in a virgin queen it's doomed. If you let her go on a mating flight she may not survive.
If you don't lock her in so she can go on a mating flight they may abscond.

It is nice to see you have been busy.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 12:03:15 pm »
Swarms should lay in about two weeks if there is comb less if all is ideal. Swarms abscond on a regular basis. Thus the reason for queen includers. That is also why you leave them on for two weeks.

Virgin queens in a swarm are a gamble (what in beekeeping isn't?). If you lock in a virgin queen it's doomed. If you let her go on a mating flight she may not survive.
If you don't lock her in so she can go on a mating flight they may abscond.

It is nice to see you have been busy.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

I didn't use excluders as these were cantalope size swarms and I hived them in four frames nuc w/ screens for vetilation and a finger sized hole for entrance. The best way i noticed is if it rains for a day after inserting into nuc. the rain makes the new home look good i guess.