Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sunflowers  (Read 4273 times)

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
Sunflowers
« on: May 05, 2008, 09:47:13 pm »
I planted some sunflowers around my beehive and all the chickmuncks and squirels are eating them. How do you keep them away without fencing it in or covering them?

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: Sunflowers
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 08:42:12 am »
Eating the seeds?  They won't get all of them, I'd just put in more than necessary.  You are covering them, right? 

You could also germinate them in pots and then plant them, they shouldn't bother the seedlings.  Just make sure you plant them out without disturbing the roots, sunflowers don't like their roots disturbed.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 10:40:09 am »
Jordan, I agree with Ann.  I plant sunflowers about 1/2 inch deep, firm the soil over them.  They will also germinate in the full light too, I know that because I have hundreds coming up around where the sunflowers grew last year.

They don't like to be transplanted, they have big roots.  But if you are really, really careful, water them really well when you set the transplants in the hole, they will be OK.  I have transplanted sunflowers into the gardens from small containers and they will do fine, but the ones that grew in the soil without any kind of transplanting are superior, no question.

You can also find a way to protect the soil from the critters digging up the seeds.  Get some kind of netting to put over the soil after sowing the seeds, the critters won't go through the netting, when the plants are up, you can remove this netting. Good luck, you will do just fine.  Have a wonderful, beautiful and most awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 02:17:30 pm »
Those pesky squirrels!  I just use any old chix wire I have.  I sorta stretch & wad to the size I need, making it at least 4 in high, holding it down w/ rocks & stix so the little darlings can't move it.  Gives the seedlings a chance to get a little larger.  Things with slender stems I leave it on.   Some sunfowers have tree-trunk size stalks so it wouldn't work for them.  I did this with my lilys this year.  It also keeps the rabbits off!

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 05:22:35 pm »
I was thinking about putting netting across them to. Well see how many come up i planted 2 50 ft. rows.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 10:21:43 am »
Jordan and Jody, better watch out, you might get sunflowers like these!!!  Be careful of what you wish for, hee, hee.....They LOVE manure!!!  I have posted these pictures before, but they are something to behold, so I'll post them again.  This particular one is growing in the edge of my asparagus patch, you are gonna be shocked!!!  Have that most beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi

My Husband is 6'2" tall, so you can imagine the size of these monster plants!!!!!  This is the Russian Mammoth, it self-seeds, along with hundreds of other sunflowers around here......imagine.....

The trunk was so thick he had to use both hands to show the size

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 12:16:21 pm »
OOOhhh, I want one tooOOOooo!  Bet the birds ate off it all fall! Now that Haley is gone I can put stuff anywhere...after the last few days I think Chevy (the goat) is going w/Whoppo to JP's! We can save on shipping! :-D  He has learned to climb the fences, is  prob 140lbs & so strong he drags me.  He is more trouble than my last 3 does put together!!  Good natured but stubborn, will pull on his collar till he passes out :shock:!  Been threatning to bring him to Brians for the BBQ!  Nigerian dwarf goats are sounding pretty good to me right now, or a Llama/alpaca..too many BBerries to not have anything chomping!  Jody

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 05:05:24 pm »
Wow, do you have any seeds left?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 09:21:22 am »
Jody, send that goat to JP, he would probably love him, hee, hee.

Jordan, I don't save the seed from the sunflowers.  They just fall off and grow, come up wherever they chose, I thin them out from the places where I don't want them to grow.  This variety is called the Mammoth Russian, you may be able to find them in the nurseries.  Have the best of this greatest day, Cindi

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 05:08:02 pm »
I will look we have some sunflowers that are called giant sunflowers and they get pretty big around to like 4 in. across. I fixed my sunflower problem, i put leaves ove top of the seeds and the animal activise people will not be happy to hear i shot a few to keep them away.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 07:39:57 pm »
if it works it works

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 08:59:34 pm »
Oh Well! Although I must say, the sunflowers here make an easy target....they are faster there??? :evil:

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 09:10:00 pm »
I went out today and dug in the dirt a little to see how they are doing and they have about a 2 in. root out the bottom but nothing coming out hte top. We have rain coming on mothers day and 60's all week hopefully they break ground by the end of next week, i cant fend them off much longer.

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 09:06:37 pm »
Today i went out to check on the sunflowers befour i install my package of bees tommorow and they were up a good inch. I guess the chipmunks didnt get all of them. :evil:

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 12:34:01 pm »
My cats ate chipmunks...all I found were tails scattered about...also since the grey squirrels moved in there aren't as many of the chipmunks.  In hindsight I would rather have the chips...the squirrels tear apart my bird feeders scattering the pieces everywhere & are too big for the cats to get..my dog is deaf & old now so just looks at me when I say get the squirrel...her scamper is more of a waddle..much like mine!!  :roll:  Jody

anything