Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: wintering hive question  (Read 2023 times)

Offline jgarzasr

• House Bee
wintering hive question
« on: October 12, 2006, 10:30:35 am »
I sold my house and in the process had to move my 1 hive.  I have been super busy for all of September, and this month - so haven't had the time to work the bees.  Hopefully it doesn't result in a loss.  But I moved the hive to my property - and I think it resulted in a robbing situation.  Because when I checked on the hive I moved I noticed it is very light.  I didn’t break it open – but when I lift it – it is not heavy at all.  So here are my questions?  I have another hive on the property that has three boxes.  The two deeps and one medium.  The one medium, and deep are full of honey.  I pulled the one medium from it – and I plan on placing it on top of the hive I moved.  Will this be enough for them?  And do I still have time to feed these bees?  Or would a better scenario be to move the full deep from my one hive and leave them with the medium plus what would be left in the brood chamber, and move the deep to the hive I moved?  I live here in southern Michigan.  Last year this hive I moved survived off of the brood box, and about half of another deep – but got low in the late winter/early spring – so I had a medium I gave them from a hive that died.  Anyway – if you guys can give me any ideas as to what to do, and hopefully it isn’t too late in the season.  It is tough when the hives are off site – It’s just not the same like when they were in my back yard.  Thanks.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
wintering hive question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 12:38:57 pm »
I suppose that you have so warm yet that you may feed the hive with sugar. They fill combs within one week.

I just finished my feeding here.  

If you have extra 3 th box, you may add it on and then give more food.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
wintering hive question
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 10:06:38 pm »
It will help but you should still feed until the original box is full of stores as well.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
wintering hive question
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 01:42:58 am »
Take a look into hive. It tells what to do.

Offline jgarzasr

• House Bee
wintering hive question
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 09:35:17 am »
Yes I do plan on looking in - but I have to wait for another warm up.  We just had a cold snap here and now we have snow and temps in the 30's/40's.  At least I hope we have another warm up.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
wintering hive question
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 11:09:30 am »
Quote from: jgarzasr
now we have snow and temps in the 30's/40's. .

So you have not much alternatives.

Take the third box to light hive, but look into good hive do they have enough food for winter.

Second alternative: You may try to press your  3-box hive into one box. Use escaper or shake bees. If they stay indise one box ou may use other frames to your light hive.

Try to press light hive into one box. If it is succesfull, it is easy to feed them and they cap easily one box sugar.   You have 2 alternatives to kill hive however feed or not feed.

anything