Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: wintering bees  (Read 1229 times)

Offline gcarrle

• Brood
wintering bees
« on: October 03, 2010, 02:00:41 pm »
Hi - i am a new beekeeper in SE Pennsylvania.  I think i may have made a mistake in getting ready for the winter and would appreciate some advise.  I have two hives.  One did not produce because i believe i lost my queen early in the season.  The other hive produce a few gallons of honey which i harvested in August.  After harvesting i put back two honey supers to promote some more comb since the foundations were brand new and have very little comb developed during the season.  I think that was a mistake.  I am now getting ready to winter the bees.  I have a top feeder i want to use and i have purchased some bee-pro patties to supplement the bees.  the instructions for the bee-pro says you must remove the supers.  However, my supers have comb and some new honey.  I took them off and put a new super containing the feeder in its place (along with the patty).  Now i have supers with comb and honey sitting in my yard and i don't know what to do with them.  I can't harvest the honey because my friend with the extractor has shut down for the season and i don't want to just put the supers in storage (assuming i could get the bees off them) with the honey for the winter.  Any suggestions on how i can address this would be most appreciated.  g

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: wintering bees
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 02:22:10 pm »
Leave your honey supers out for your bees to rob out the honey for the winter.   Reduce you entrances on your hives.   Take the pollen patties off and put them back on in March.  If the hives are light, feed them 2 to 1 syrup. 

anything