Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: On the other size.  (Read 6488 times)

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
On the other size.
« on: December 09, 2007, 01:02:18 pm »
Does size matter? Yes, if one orange weighs 1,150 Kgrs. :shock: is impossible to sell it. You can see my hat to compare.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: On the other size.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 02:25:22 pm »
That is one big orange.

You can make a lot of orange juice with it.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 03:36:55 pm »
It´s curious. Two records in a day. My son has just come back at home with the biggest octopus I´ve ever seen. He was fishing with his cousins with the rod. I´ve never fished a octopus with a rod.
I´m going to eat it with my brother that will come back from England for Chrismast. :)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 03:44:03 pm »
Are the oranges as good when they're that big? I remember getting navels from Florida yrs ago that were big, not that big, but big, and they were very good. Those are navels right?

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 04:47:38 pm »
NAVEL, NAVEL very right.

A variety from Florida. And, all of them, little and big are sugar.

Offline Jacmar

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 07:39:50 pm »
Abe,
That is some good looking Octopus your son caught. I haven't seen one that size since the time I spent in Italy during the 1950's.

I can just taste it now, done in a nice batter with a light hint of garlic and cooked in butter, Oh wow, my mouth is just watering for a taste.

Beautiful looking oranges, hope you have a bumper crop this year.

Jack
"The key to life is to Die Young at a very Old Age"

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 03:09:11 pm »
orange nice. Octo cooool. I have caught squid w/ rod and reel(very agressive predator squid-try taking it off!) Octo are usually too smart for rod and reel. Was it at nite? Son did a Great job and it will taste great grilled w/ some rioja! Must have  been an unusual fight too.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 04:24:11 pm »
Must have  been an unusual fight too.
I think that was so complicated as to take out a great stone from the sea. But my son is telling me a new version of "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea" by Verne.

I fish squids too (finishing september), using potera. And cuttlefish with my snorkel and an acuatic-lamp during the night, only with my hands. I live in a rich coast.

I cook the octo boiled and them adding salt, olive oil and cayenne. Mmmmm, my God.

hope you have a bumper crop this year.
Thank you very much. I would send any boxes to all my beemaster friends,... :), he, he. Well, I´m here with thousands of kilos.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 05:11:05 pm »
Love the links.         Better Jules Verne novel than a Peter Benchley Novel!

I have had octo boiled in wine(for hours) than grilled. I have had Galecian style as well. love Spanish and portugese seafood styles. YUMYUMYUM.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 07:59:48 pm »
Abe, the potera, how does it work, are those shiny metal things on one end some type of barb or something similar that catches the squid or do you add a hook of some sort?

Myself, I love fried calamari with a little hot sauce and tartar,ummmmmm good!

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 11:35:44 am »
Abe, the potera, how does it work, are those shiny metal things on one end some type of barb or something similar that catches the squid or do you add a hook of some sort?

Myself, I love fried calamari with a little hot sauce and tartar,ummmmmm good!

Sincerely, JP

The squid is a vicious predator. At nite, put on boat lites. You'll see the squid around. They move faster than you can so just jig the metal jig near them. Usually no bait is needed. I just squirt shedder crab oil on the jig.They will attck so quick you dont see it. Once on the deck, the fun begins. They have a beak that will give you stitches. Thier suckers will pull skin off. Wait a few minutes for them to exhaust themselves and carefully take off. I use something similar called a sabiki rig. Fresh squid is awesome bait! Just be acreful they really hurt when they get a hold of your finger or whatever. Oh yeah, they'll squirt ink all overe the place too.

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 05:57:26 pm »
JP, Konasdad, I´m traslating. I´m traslating my answer. 8-)
What interesting experiences! :lol:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 10:35:25 pm »
My question may or may not have been answered by Konasdad, about the potera, if you need to add a hook or the shiny end is what gets them. I think it was answered, they attack the lure and the metal thingys snare them. Watch out for the beek, suction cups, and ink.

Sincerely, JP

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 02:18:50 am »
they attack the lure and the metal thingys snare them

The potera is a plumb line with hooks. But they are not fish hooks because are not sharpen. The squids, cuttlefish or octopus that you can capture are hugged to the potera while you are rewinding. If you stop, the cephalopod can get away, free.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 10:48:49 am »
My question may or may not have been answered by Konasdad, about the potera, if you need to add a hook or the shiny end is what gets them. I think it was answered, they attack the lure and the metal thingys snare them. Watch out for the beek, suction cups, and ink.

Sincerely, JP
Yes JP. They sort of get stuck on a "hook-like" metal barb. Sort of like a paper clip bent to make a wall hook. Sabiki rigs have tiny little hooks(size 20's or so) inside a tiny little feather teaser. Sometimes a little piece of bait is added. Almost anything fishy that will stay stuck. Its the sent really. Really watch out for the beak. They can jet themselves onto you pretty freakin quick too.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 11:27:43 am »
[quote author=abejaruco

> ... The squids, cuttlefish or octopus that you can capture are hugged to the potera while you are rewinding. If you stop, the cephalopod can get away, free.

That doesn't make you feel bad, that they hug the lure? They apparently are love starved creatures that just want to hug. Hug, hug, hug your way to good beekeeping.

Sincerely, JP  :-D

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 10:30:20 am »
Abejaruco, that is one mighty fine big orange.  Wow.

Look at your little man!!!!  He is holding that octopus so proudly (and I see he has an orange on the counter behind him).  I bet he was extremely proud to have caught this great big octopus, yea!!!!  Good for him, he will be a great fisherman.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day.  Cindi

P.S.  Abejaruco.  I did not realize this before.  You do not speak English?  You use a translation program on your computer?

It does an excellent job of translation if this is so.  I see your posts are clearly written and there is no miscommunication of what you want to tell us.  Wonderful, yea!!!!!  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 02:08:26 am »
Cindi, thank you again. I don´t study English since the High School, (tropecientosmil) troopehundredsthousand years ago. :)  Internet has been a real web.

For my amnesia http://www.wordreference.com/es/  . And delete (pruning) most of my post.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 11:25:04 am »
Abejaruco.  You are welcome.

My Brother-in-Law is from Chile.  He speaks Spanish and has been in Canada a long time, about 25 years.  His English is good.

My Sister very often corresponds on the e-mail with his family.  She uses a program where she types in a sentence in English and pushes a button and it is translated into Spanish.  She then copies this sentence into the e-mail and it is copied into the e-mail sent to Chile.  It is an excellent program.  But.....this is funny.   Sometimes the sentence is very strange how it is translated.  So she must be very careful about how she words sentences.  Sometimes his family in Chile cannot understand what she has meant to say.  She has told me of some things and it makes that smile come to my face, hee, hee,  :) :) :)

You do well at expressing your thoughts and your English is pretty good, your site you go to that helps you is also good.  Yea!!!!!!!  Have a wonderful, great day, wishing that I had a little bit of your beautiful and warm weather  :) :) :)  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 07:50:44 pm »
Its obvious you live in a very Ideal place
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

anything