Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does anyone cut caps for extracting ?  (Read 3721 times)

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
Does anyone cut caps for extracting ?
« on: August 14, 2009, 11:45:57 am »
Does anyone just cut the caps for extracting honey ? Do the bees have any problem with uncapping and refilling the cells ?
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: Does anyone cut caps for extracting ?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 12:02:03 pm »
The caps on the comb should be removed with a knife or broken with a uncapping fork.  I like the uncapping fork personally.  A few quick runs over the comb and it's done and ready to go.  The combs get damaged when you extract but they will clean it up and rebuild it pretty quickly.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 01:38:07 pm »
The reason I ask is because this sideliner uncapper says it leaves most of the caps on,I was thinking it must only cut the caps instead of removing them.

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/The-Sideliner-Uncapper/productinfo/795/
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 02:17:41 pm »
A while back I thought I heard someone say that they work by poking holes in the caps.  That would make sense because as you spin the comb, the honey will still be forced out of the cells and also widen the holes in the cap.  It probably wouldn't damage the comb or cut the comb down as much as an uncapping fork or hot knife would.  That's where you would have your honey savings...no major repairs to make and the bees wouldn't have to cap as much either.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 02:43:08 pm »
a while back I thought I heard someone say that they work by poking holes in the caps.  That would make sense because as you spin the comb, the honey will still be forced out of the cells and also widen the holes in the cap.  It probably wouldn't damage the comb or cut the comb down as much as an uncapping fork or hot knife would.  That's where you would have your honey savings...no major repairs to make and the bees wouldn't have to cap as much either.

I can understand removing the caps so the bees don't have to,so they can refill it with honey,but I don't know a way to remove caps without messing up the comb. I think it would be easier for them to remove caps if they will,then for them to rebuild comb. Just my thinking,what do you think?

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 04:29:57 pm »
I think it would be easier for them to remove caps if they will,then for them to rebuild comb. Just my thinking,what do you think?

Makes sense to me.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 02:26:31 am »
On the Brushy page,there is a link to you tube that demonstrates the uncapper. It perforates the caps instead of removing them. I don't think it is a matter of saving for the bees ----just design. I imagine uncappers with chains and knives have to be motorized and therefore runs up the price--even more!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 06:29:43 pm by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 12:55:29 pm »
ITs a sweet tool from my eyes, but the cost is a little inhibitive at the moment, maybe next year or two. Looks easy to use and FAST!!
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 01:06:19 pm »
I wonder what the extraction time is to get a clean frame ?

I have found that useing a knife, and then a scrapeing fork to get the low spots, the knife cut cells clean quickly however the fork scraped cells seem to have a tad of honey left.

I'd like to hear from someone who actually has and used one.
Like to know how it compensates for the highs & low spots on the frame.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline alflyguy

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 02:30:59 pm »
It's a little pricey but it looks like a great idea. Of all the chores involved in harvesting honey I like uncapping the least. (I like licking my fingers the best:)

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 02:12:52 am »
I second Bee-Bop's questions.  I don't think there is any usefull reason to spend that kind of money.  MANY of my frames are not perfectly drawn out, including when the supers are set for nine frames.  There are deep spots in the wax that the machine will not cut into.  Also, once extracted, the cells are going to be just as opened as if you used a heat knife or scraper.  What will be the result if your honey is thick/heavy?  Will it flow out just as well as uncapping?  The bees WILL NOT have an easier time with the cleaning.  Think about it.  If in fact the cappings stay on, now the bees have to bypass the cappings.  I don't believe that is what actually hapens with that system, but then again, I don't own one so I don't know :roll:
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 12:57:47 am »
with 9 frames of drawn out comb placed in super, the comb is always drawn out plenty so that hot knife uncaps every cell.  I spin out 9 frames in my Italian radial in about 5 minutes in July when temps are 90  Cappings drain covered over night, and wax is frozen until a large enough batch is accumulated for rendering.  For 3 to 30 hives, this is a tried and true method.  Bees draw out the cut off portion of empty comb and refill in no time at all.

Goodness, am I reading right that folks are worrying about the bees having to re-extend the cut off honeycomb face?  So many other things to worry about, I think.
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 01:15:10 am »
with 9 frames of drawn out comb placed in super, the comb is always drawn out plenty so that hot knife uncaps every cell.  I spin out 9 frames in my Italian radial in about 5 minutes in July when temps are 90  Cappings drain covered over night, and wax is frozen until a large enough batch is accumulated for rendering.  For 3 to 30 hives, this is a tried and true method.  Bees draw out the cut off portion of empty comb and refill in no time at all.

Goodness, am I reading right that folks are worrying about the bees having to re-extend the cut off honeycomb face?  So many other things to worry about, I think.

I doubt anyone is worrying about it,I started the thread and as far as production of honey goes I'm trying to figure what is less work for bees,for them to repair half cut off comb or to repair cut caps ? You worry about other things if you like but I worry about nothing. Thank You.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 05:20:36 pm »
I'm sure it takes the bees a little more work to re-extend the half cut-off combs.  How much, and is it worth it?  Probably not a huge amount more work, and I don't think that that would make a $1200 uncapper worth it.

But...if it works as fast as it is advertised, and it spins out as easily as cut combs, then it might be worth it.
Rick

anything