Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anybody know any trees around melbourne that have a hive in them? swarm trap  (Read 3561 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Hi Guys,

Anybody know any trees around melbourne that have a hive in them and might be a good place to put a swarm trap?

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
150 K's away Ozbuzz. Too far I suppose but I will be setting some here in Gippsland come spring.

Geoff.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
I did a swarm collection last spring in Thomastown. The source feral hive was in a cement power pole that as far as I know is still there. I just have to try and remember the name of the court that it's in...

edit: Ok, I've located it on google maps. Shilo Crt Thomastown. They do not have a street view of the actual crt, but you can see it from the Wirraway image at the start of the crt. The power pole is at the very end of the court in front of the 2 story house with the small tree in the front yard with the wire fence. I collected the swarm from that tree about 1 metre off the ground. Easiest one so far. Given the feral hive has swarmed before, might be a good bet. The entrance to the feral hive is about 3-4 metres off the ground up the pole from memory.

Don't know where you would put the trap though as the tree branches were very flimsy.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 11:30:33 pm by philinacoma »

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee

edit: Ok, I've located it on google maps. Shilo Crt Thomastown. They do not have a street view of the actual crt, but you can see it from the Wirraway image at the start of the crt. The power pole is at the very end of the court in front of the 2 story house with the small tree in the front yard with the wire fence. I collected the swarm from that tree about 1 metre off the ground. Easiest one so far. Given the feral hive has swarmed before, might be a good bet. The entrance to the feral hive is about 3-4 metres off the ground up the pole from memory.

Don't know where you would put the trap though as the tree branches were very flimsy.

Could be worth a shot! might go and ask the house there if they wouldnt mind me sitting one somewhere on their property.. looking at Google Earth i might be able to put one on their garage roof or something or maybe even behind the low fence they have although it would be down on the ground! that would be a big hive if they have the whole internal area of the pole to work with...