Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Year-Old Beek from Los Angeles, CA.  (Read 3411 times)

Offline newbeekeeper

• New Bee
Year-Old Beek from Los Angeles, CA.
« on: June 08, 2011, 06:50:11 pm »
Hi all,

I just wanted to say hi, I'm 1/2 of a newbie beek couple here in Los Angeles with about a year of experience under our belt. We are chemical free and we do small cell beekeeping. Our goals are to buy an outyard in NoCal over the next year or so, expand our stock, and eventually go into business formally for ourselves. I appreciate all of the help and advice I've seen here so far despite not bee-ing a a longtime Member...

Thanks. :)

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Year-Old Beek from Los Angeles, CA.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 08:16:57 pm »
Welcome to the forum

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 11:32:42 pm »
I am from Placerville, north of Sacramento. Where in Northern Ca do you plan on moving to??

Offline newbeekeeper

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 06:37:47 pm »
Hi, Annette, we're planning to outyard in the Bakersfield/Fresno area, just need to look into the bylaws and such; we're expecting to purchase an outyard next year. :)

We figure it's a good place to start, near the fields, plus tons of good forage. :)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 07:41:06 pm »
Good luck with it all. All agriculture area and should be great for bees.

Offline newbeekeeper

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 10:17:35 pm »
Do you beekeep?

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 01:47:49 am »
Started in 2006 with 1 hive and now have 6. Just a hobby for me, I just truly love taking care of them. Most years, I don't get much honey. I learned lots on this forum especially when I was having difficulty figuring out what I was doing wrong.

I started beekeeping one way, and ended up doing things differently. More natural approach now, letting the bees draw out comb without foundation. No treatments and no supplemental feeding (except sugar syrup when I think they need it) Also doing all medium supers, no deeps.

It has become much easier for me as the years have gone on. I even get help lifting the heavy supers now when I need to do inspections .Have met a few beekeepers in this area and we have become friends. Taught beekeeping to the 4H club of Placerville last year. Did a few presentations on beekeeping to school kids. Very busy this year catching swarms.

You will learn a lot here. Also you will probably get confused a lot of the time with all the different opinions. Goes with the territory :-D

Keep in touch
Annette

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 10:12:53 am »
Wow!  I've had my 3 year olds helping with my bees, but beekeeping at a year old!  That's precocious !!  :-D

Welcome and best wishes on your new venture.  I'm lazy and cheap, so avoid the chemicals and such when possible, but use what I need to when I need to.

I agree on the confusion - the first few years my mind was constantly spinning with ideas and ideals, and since then have settled down on what works for me.  The forums always make it worse because there are so many ways of doing things, and they're all right or all wrong depending on the perspective :shock:  :-D.

Rick
Rick

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 10:58:58 am »
In addition to learning a lot, you will laugh a lot, too.  Some of these guys and gals have wicked senses of humor.

Linda D
linda d

Offline newbeekeeper

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 06:32:27 pm »
Wow!  I've had my 3 year olds helping with my bees, but beekeeping at a year old!  That's precocious !!  :-D

Welcome and best wishes on your new venture.  I'm lazy and cheap, so avoid the chemicals and such when possible, but use what I need to when I need to.

I agree on the confusion - the first few years my mind was constantly spinning with ideas and ideals, and since then have settled down on what works for me.  The forums always make it worse because there are so many ways of doing things, and they're all right or all wrong depending on the perspective :shock:  :-D.

Rick

ROFL, yeah, I guess I sound like a toddler.

NO kidding about the different perspectives! We had an issue with a AHB hive and we got a dozen different views on how to deal with it...whew!!

Offline newbeekeeper

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 06:33:44 pm »
Started in 2006 with 1 hive and now have 6. Just a hobby for me, I just truly love taking care of them. Most years, I don't get much honey. I learned lots on this forum especially when I was having difficulty figuring out what I was doing wrong.

I started beekeeping one way, and ended up doing things differently. More natural approach now, letting the bees draw out comb without foundation. No treatments and no supplemental feeding (except sugar syrup when I think they need it) Also doing all medium supers, no deeps.

It has become much easier for me as the years have gone on. I even get help lifting the heavy supers now when I need to do inspections .Have met a few beekeepers in this area and we have become friends. Taught beekeeping to the 4H club of Placerville last year. Did a few presentations on beekeeping to school kids. Very busy this year catching swarms.

You will learn a lot here. Also you will probably get confused a lot of the time with all the different opinions. Goes with the territory :-D

Keep in touch
Annette

Wonderful! I just wonder why you don't get a lot of honey. Just goes to show I don't know much yet!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 11:13:45 pm »
Nothing for them to forage on most of the summer. They make a lot of honey, but end up eating most of it July and August when we become like a desert up here.

anything