Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen here!! Queen here!!!  (Read 2025 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Queen here!! Queen here!!!
« on: October 31, 2007, 02:32:39 pm »
I had been away for a few weeks and just got back.

For those of you who remember me having trouble with one hive trying to figure out if the supercedure in September really worked, well I have great news. I do have a queen in that hive.

Found larva in various stages a few days ago and some capped brood. The hive is very energetic.

The 2 hives are ready for winter with insulation in the top inner covers and enough food stores and healthy bees.

I will try to do at least one more powdered sugar dusting before it really gets cold. The counts are way down.

Does anyone know how Randy Oliver from Grass Valley does his powdered sugar dusting??? Does he just dust the top super or does he do each one????  This late in the season, I would rather not take the hives apart any more to do the dusting, but was wondering if just doing it on the top super would be effective.

Thanks for all the help and I missed all of you while I was away.

Annette

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Re: Queen here!! Queen here!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 03:08:15 pm »
Hi Annette,

If you'll do a search over at Beesource, there are lots of threads about Randy Oliver and his powdered sugar method.  Also he wrote a series of article for ABJ last year about it so maybe on their website.

Good luck, and I'm glad you have a viable queen.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline ElDoBill

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 03:41:40 pm »
Annette, Glad to hear the good news.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 03:49:46 pm »
olivers method is simple. One cup sugar per deep. Use a screened bottom board on top of boxes. No need to do each box seperately. Put sugar on top of screen and brush into hive. Done.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".