Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarm removal question  (Read 3606 times)

Offline catfishbill

• House Bee
swarm removal question
« on: March 19, 2008, 04:20:22 pm »
hey yall i have been looking at all these swarm removal pics and have a couple of questions.do the owners of these properties get upset when you remove parts of their house,and do you have contractor waiting on you to get finished so they can repair what you have removed or do you repair.do the owners not care they just want the bee gone?just asking because i have gotten some calls already.thanks bill.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: swarm removal question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 04:33:33 pm »
The way I have done it is, I go check out where the bees are at in the structure. I figure out what I will have to do (tear up) in order to get the bees out. I always try to do it the easiest and cheapest way (repair wise) then I tell the owners what I have to do. It is agreed that I tear up and remove the bees and they are responsible for all repairs.

IF in the process I find there will be more to destroy I stop and go inform them of the extra repair they will have to do.

I do not charge anything for doing the removal. If I had to do the repairs you can bet I would be charging a bundle.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 04:53:23 pm »
I handle it the same way Jerry does.  I assess the situation and explain in as much detail as possible what will need to be opened up to remove the bees.  I also request the owner or someone they trust be present when I open it up.  If I find more destruction needs to be done, I stop an confer with them before proceeding.   

I make it extremely clear what damage will be done and that I do not repair.

Every one I have done, the people just want to get rid of the bees and are usually amazed at the nest once they see it.  In some cases they suggests methods that would actually cause more damage to the structure (they don't understand how buildings are constructed and the effort to repair).

I do charge for cut-outs and do have them sign a contract that states they are responsible for all repairs.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 04:55:35 pm »
  I charge to do removals. I give an estimate on the costs based on what I see when I look things over. My bid includes the costs of repairs if they want me to do them.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline catfishbill

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 06:33:27 pm »
thanks,i like the signing the contract rob just in case.some people in this day and time don't honor a good hand shake.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 07:12:27 pm »
I actually look at the contract as a two way street.  I try to spell out exactly what I will do and what I don't do.  That way they know what to expect from me as well.   So far, I have had nothing but good dealings with folks.   Perhaps charging helps weed out some of the rif raf.  I have some people that think I should do it for free,  so I politely move on.   The best advice is to go by your gut.  If something doesn't sit right with you, walk away.  It most likely will end up better for you.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison