Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Strange Bee behavior just before the cold front  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Sour Kraut

• House Bee
Strange Bee behavior just before the cold front
« on: November 20, 2013, 09:10:11 am »

Walked out into the back yard about 10 AM Sunday, just before the cold front and associated storms moved thru here in Western IL.

The entrance to EVERY hive was literally boiling with bees, in spite of the entrance reducers.

I've never seen anything like it.......it was almost 'swarming' density of flying bees.

Could they have sensed the coming weather / baro pressure / temperature change ?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Strange Bee behavior just before the cold front
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 09:45:26 am »
You bet they do, and if you had opened a hive, you would think they were Africanized. Just before a storm, they are the meanest you will ever see.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 10:59:33 am »
I learned the hard way when first starting out. Opened a hive to fill a feeder just before an approaching storm. Needless to say they my legs couldn't get me away fast enough.
Received about two dozen stingers for that stupid move.  :laugh:

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 09:49:12 pm »
I made the mistake of just raising the top cover up when it was doing a lot of thundering. I got five total I think. I started letting the top cover down easy, then one got me in the armpit, bam! down goes the cover and off I go. Then it dawned on me, thunder=lightening, lightening=static electricity, which equals angry bees. My bees are pretty docile except at certain times.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline ThomasGR

• House Bee
    • Meli Konitsas
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 08:13:43 am »
This is well known and written in books, about behavior before storms. But a few times i opened a hive with such conditions ( raining in the horizon and lightnings ) bees where very calm, maybe more than with regular conditions. I can not explain the reason.
Thomas , Greece @ www.melikonitsas.gr | www.beephotography.org |Apiary Weather Station |[img width= height= alt=Image created by a PHP script" width="310" height="30
]http://kairos.konitsa.eu/image_sticker.php[/img]