Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ideas?  (Read 5039 times)

Offline glenn c hile

• House Bee
Ideas?
« on: May 25, 2011, 08:17:08 am »
Fairly new to the removal trade and wanting to know your suggestions.  Got a call from an apartment complex last night, swarm landed a couple of days ago and started moving in.  Went and looked at it last night and there were still several hundred bees on the outside.  Appear to be going in where the siding meets a window dormer about 2.5 stories up behind vinyl siding.  Failry new construction.  I was thinking smoke / bee quick might be an option  to get them to abscond if the tstorms will allow me to get to them in the next day or so.  Other ideas?

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 08:52:53 am »
vinyl siding is fairly easy to remove and replace (most is put on with long roofing nails), should be plywood behind the siding.

Is this a functional dormer (in other words, finished living space like a bed room or in the attic just for looks), if in the attic just for looks you might find it easy to get them from the inside.

I have found with the bee quick can also drive them deeper into the structure if you do not get it behind them.

If they have been there for a couple of days they have already built comb, I have found by day 3 - 5 you will find eggs the queen has laid and they will have a hard time leaving it.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 09:42:09 am »
Do you have a picture?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 10:18:30 am »
I agree with G3, you need to get the bee quick "BEHIND" the bees or you run the risk of moving them deeper in, if there is a deeper in.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline glenn c hile

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 10:22:41 am »
G3-apartment building so no attic.  Attached to a bedroom.

Don-will try and get over and get a photo before the storms get here this afternoon.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline glenn c hile

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 06:59:16 pm »
Photos:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 07:10:51 pm »
It's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like they're in the wall behind the siding. there should be some 4-5" "L" flashing at that point that should prevent them from entering the roof area. Note all of the "shoulds".

If they are indeed in the wall you need to be prepared to remove the vinyl siding w/o cutting it and then cut the wall sheathing that is behind it. If you're careful it can be easily put back good as new.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 08:06:36 pm »
going to need  long extension ladder for this one, reason being it will have to lean out far enough at the bottom to clear the porch on the ground floor. This would be a good place for a boom lift.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 08:36:42 pm »
Or a monkey man.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 09:28:18 pm »
Real beekeepers use bee go  ;)
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 09:34:32 pm »
Three choices: one that smells like sewage & vomit
                     one that smells like vomit
                     one that smells like almonds

I'm going with the one that smells like almonds!

...JP  ;)
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline glenn c hile

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 10:43:57 pm »
The bees are getting in at the peak above the window.  Actually there is a gap between the bottom roof where a ladder will fit next to the upper window and possible be within reach.  Not going to be real easy though.  What are the chances of going above where they are going in and try the beequick?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 11:54:53 pm »
If they have been there more than 3 days I would say zero to none.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 09:22:06 am »
Not much hope for bee go at this point, will make for some pissy bees filling the air.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 09:45:11 am »
You do know that this is going to be a cutout right? No amount of bee quick is going to convince them to leave nearly a week old established colony.

Offline glenn c hile

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 10:21:45 am »
Yes I have resolved myself to a cutout situation now.  I was hoping the weather might cooperate and get in earlier before they got too established.  2.5 inches of rain yesterday with hail and lots of wind and lightning.  More for today.  Guess options at this point for the apartment manager are 1.  Cutout from the outside  2.  Cutout from the inside if the tenant will allow it  3.  Extermination.  Good thing is almost no foraging weather since they have moved in.

Online iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 10:27:29 am »
Unlike the other posters here, I prefer cutting from the inside. Being, in your words, fairly new to the removal trade, I recommend either cut from the inside or walk away from it. Taking on a job like that from the outside should be left for the highly experienced.

I'm thinking if you open the outside, you may find they are located between the ceiling and the attic floor. Then you would have to open the inside anyway.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline glenn c hile

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 10:57:09 am »
IDEE, I am thinking the same way.  I am not young (61) though I like to still think I am:)  There is another younger guy in our bee club that I pass off the more challenging cutouts to. 

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 11:21:54 am »
Unlike the other posters here, I prefer cutting from the inside. Being, in your words, fairly new to the removal trade, I recommend either cut from the inside or walk away from it. Taking on a job like that from the outside should be left for the highly experienced.

And I hate walking away from bees, but its something that Ive learned to do. I had one a few weeks ago that was using a hole where the buildings electrical lines went inside. Not for me. Hardwood pulled one off on an earlier post but ever since he was abducted by aliens, he's not grounded anymore. He just kinda floats around :)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 11:38:04 am »
K9, I wasn't ever really abducted...just probed :shock:

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

anything