Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Learning Bees in Eastern Idaho  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Teton Bee

• New Bee
Learning Bees in Eastern Idaho
« on: April 27, 2009, 12:39:07 am »
Hello everyone! I am writing to introduce myself to the forum. I am new to beekeeping, am about to install my first two packages. We have built two Warre style top bar hives that I hope will be good for our harsh climate. I look forward to reading past posts and about the various methods you prefer. Unfortunately, after our gorgeous 65 degree weather last week, it is snowing heavily now. Not good as my bees are scheduled to arrive tomorrow :-\! I will try to find a more appropriate thread for my questions regarding --what on earth should I do?! But any ideas are greatly appreciated. So far I have decided to feed dry granulated sugar on top of the top bars ot Fondant if I can find it), and an upside down mason jar with sugar syrup in the hive in hopes they feed on one or the other --but am afraid that syrup is not the way to go in such cold weather. We also have the option of installing them in the hives but then placing the hives in a sunroom/greenhouse (~50F) until it warms enough to move the hive to it's preferred outdoor location. Not ideal to disturb the hive I know....but the other option of putting them in place and hoping they stay warm enough, well fed and well watered is a bit daunting. Would love to hear if any of you live in a similar climate and have experienced similar weather issues when introducing new packages.

Thanks so much!
Teton Bee

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Learning Bees in Eastern Idaho
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 01:09:39 am »
TetonBee, welcome to our forum.  Please update your profile so that we know EXACTLY where you are located.  That helps so much when people try to relate to your weather conditions.  This will be a place where you can ask your questions, they will be answered, to help you.  This can also be a place where you can tell your stories, tales and experiences, we love to listen.  Good luck with your bees.  You know that you don't HAVE to hive them tomorrow.  They could sit in a cool place for a few days until you get a break in the weather.  Ask your questions until you are satisfied with answers that will make you comfortable with hiving them.  Have that wonderful and most awesomely great day, life and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 01:23:13 am »
Hello and Welcome Teton Bee
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 07:48:50 pm »
Greetings fellow Gem State beek.  We experienced the same glimpse of summer when I installed my bees and then it dropped back to high 30's and some light snow.  Now it is hovering in the 40's.  The bees were so happy on those sunny days...  The cold weather eliminated all activity outside the hives (except for occasional sunbreaks), but I made some blanket wraps for around the hives and for under the lid and they started taking syrup again, so it must have helped.  I feed from jars above the inner cover and they take in near a pint a day.  I'd be interested to share info on things that work and don't work in our extreme climates.
-Mike
-Mike

anything