Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Follower board  (Read 5739 times)

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
Follower board
« on: September 12, 2012, 03:32:08 am »
I have a nuc that I need to move into a 10 frame box and I am going to use a follower board to slowly grow the colony to the full size.
I am wondering if the board needs to be the full length of the box or if a gap at the front and the back is ok?

Thanks
Shane

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: Follower board
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 08:16:21 am »
leave enough gap that they can go around them if they want.  if you dont they will just glue them in place

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 08:24:07 am »
OK thanks. I might try tacking a bit of ply to an empty frame.
Shane

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 11:45:36 am »
OK thanks. I might try tacking a bit of ply to an empty frame.

Personally, I wouldn't.   I have a lot of other insects like Palmetto bugs, spiders, ants, earwhigs etc, not to mention SHBs that would set-up shop in the unused area if the bees cannot or will not patrol it.  Then there are the lizards always looking for a slow bee or other bug.

I would add frames with foundation, mix them in near the center and feed 2:1 to help them draw out the frames faster.

Just a thought, have fun!

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 05:22:52 pm »
I’m with sundog, add frames and let the bees patrol the space.  If you’re adding undrawn plastic frames, the pests can’t really destroy them so they are good to add into a box in a case like this.  If you are adding drawn combs, I would probably do that gradually at a rate where there will always be enough bees to patrol them.  Whatever you do, never leave empty room where the bees can build their comb freehand, or you will have one big mess.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 06:27:16 pm »
ShaneJ
I use alot of these and if you try you will be happy with the results.   I have at least 40 colonies with 2 follower boards and 8 frames  in each box of 2 story colonies.  They work!     

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 07:49:53 pm »
Thanks guys.

I have had a few hives swarm/abscond due to adding to many frames with undrawn foundation. I have learned my lesson here and wont be doing it again anytime soon.
Shane

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 03:13:39 pm »
I use a follower board in my KTBH, but I keep it "bug-tight".  The bees can't get into the void area and other bugs can't get into the hive.  I always have a variety of other bugs to expell in the void space, but who cares.

Good luck, and have fun!

Offline Lazy W

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 11:44:56 pm »
How did you keep it bug tight?

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 12:49:08 am »
How did you keep it bug tight?

When first I made the TBH, I made two follower boards that I would need later.  I stacked them when I cut them, so they are exactly the same size.  When I constructed the body of the hive, I used the two follower boards as a fixture to build with so they fit the walls very tight.  The bottom of the hive is #8 screen and I tie a slat along the bottom to keep the screen tight up against the follower board.  Before I tied the slat, there were always a few bees that someway got under the board and somehow couldn’t find their way back or out and died.

Not really small bug tight because of the screen, but bee and larger tight.

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab218/Sunchaser01/DSCN0721.jpg

Have fun!

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 09:17:42 pm »
ShaneJ
I use alot of these and if you try you will be happy with the results.   I have at least 40 colonies with 2 follower boards and 8 frames  in each box of 2 story colonies.  They work!     
Why not just use 8 frame boxes? Please explain.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 09:04:03 am »
ShaneJ
I use alot of these and if you try you will be happy with the results.   I have at least 40 colonies with 2 follower boards and 8 frames  in each box of 2 story colonies.  They work!    
Why not just use 8 frame boxes? Please explain.
Because I have about 250 - 10 frame deeps and about 300 - 10 frame med.    As for keeping them tight I dont.  The bee's can and do patrol the air space. They use this space to move up from the bottom without having to cross the brood nest.  They rest in this space.  A couple have burred it up but most have not
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:54:32 am by danno »

anything