Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Package install video  (Read 2347 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Package install video
« on: April 09, 2013, 07:44:16 am »
For those uncomfortable with shaking the package bees,(which you wont be after becoming more comfortable around bees,) here is Beemasters (John Claton)'s way of doing a package install. It is prime package season so I thought it was a good time to repost this.:
Beemaster's Installing honeybees Method

PS Good to see ya John, even if it's just the video!!

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Re: Package install video
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 12:04:17 pm »
I found this video a couple months ago. Looks like a much easier way to release the bees.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 09:41:02 pm »
Thanks for posting that video.  I hope to get bees in the next week or so. Makes me a little less nervous. :)

Thanks again.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 11:47:29 pm »
No need to be nervous - it really is pretty easy.  Just do as the video shows and take your time.  And as a first timer I'd suggest you don the bee suit etc.  It's just kind of a security blanket of sorts.

David

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 09:52:09 pm »
The only thing I would add to my video, if I were to redo it – is to make sure people keep the bees cool so they stay clustered and instead of removing all of the wooden slats, you can just use a utility knife and cut the screen out on one side, which is much faster if you don't plan on resealing the package afterward. That would just be a much simpler process for a lot of people, and i've done that before and done it since, I did want to save that box and with over 100,000 views I'm not going to put a competition video up there - I have made comments with the video about using utility knife is really quick to get that screen off. Good luck in beekeeping this year as always.

Oh and I want to thank everyone who's giving me positive feedback about the video, been quite a few years since I did that, now and It's fun to look back on. Thanks again to all.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Bee Curious

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 11:38:53 pm »
John,

I've watched your video at least 10 times.  I ran across it on YTube when looking for guidance on installing my first package at the end of the month.  Your "kinder, gentler" method had much more appeal for a newbee like me.  The only thing that intimidated me was whether the wood strips would come off as easily as the video shows or would I have to wrestle with them. 

Now, reading your suggestion to use a utility knife to cut the screen is the cherry on top.  Now, I feel more confident and look forward to installing my package.  Thanks so much for the video and the suggestion.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 10:45:38 am »
Glad I added the utility knife statement then BC - I have just always felt that our little friends have had enough trauma ofver the past few days, and bouncing them around the cage like a golfball in a water-cooler jug is NOT going to make the transition any better, neither them nor you.

Glad this gives you the confidence, being in control and in charge takes a lot of stress off the bees to! you can see it and hear it in their responce.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 10:59:24 am »
I can tell you that trying to pry the wooden bars off with a hive tool doesn't work. Ask me how I know  :roll:

Offline Sunnyboy2

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 01:41:48 am »
Shaking the bees in does seem brutal to the bees as you pound the box onto the ground.  Opening the screen does seem to offer a quicker, smoother transfer.  Thanks for the video post.  Those moving pictures helps me lots more than all the writn'

Offline Bee Curious

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 11:38:21 pm »
I agree that shaking the bees out seems rather insensitive to what they've already gone through.  When I saw how the bees just fell out when you opened the screen, that was magic.