Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbie beekeeper in central Illinois  (Read 2652 times)

Offline wickedlibrarian

• New Bee
    • The Skeptical (Former) Librarian
Newbie beekeeper in central Illinois
« on: May 03, 2012, 10:42:21 am »
Hello everyone! Just a quick introduction... :)

In mid-April, I installed my first two packages of bees. Our weather was cold (down to freezing some nights) after weeks of 70+ weather. Of course, I worried every night they were out there.
As far as I can tell, they're all still alive though, now that the weather has shot back up into 80+F. It has been very rainy and very windy, so I haven't actually gotten a chance to pull frames out and see if my queens are laying eggs yet. My hives are a 30 minute drive away, on the farmland of my Father-In-Law's home.

I have hopes in the future for harvesting enough honey that my husband can try making mead. And of course I have visions of homemade soap/lip balm/etc. as gifts for loved ones. But right now, I just want my hives to live! I'm trying to go by the "bees know what they're doing" mantra. I hope that they can survive no matter what I inadvertently do to them!

I hope I can find the camaraderie and advice on this forum to make their lives better.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Newbie beekeeper in central Illinois
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 11:06:59 am »

Welcome to the forum.  You may want to check into a local bee club also.  Good luck with your bees.

Joe

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 11:13:27 am »
Welcome!   You'll love the forum.    I'm a newbie also and I always get great advice and great answers to my questions.    Good luck with your bees!
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline mrchevy3

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 11:19:39 am »
Hello everyone! Just a quick introduction... :)

In mid-April, I installed my first two packages of bees. Our weather was cold (down to freezing some nights) after weeks of 70+ weather. Of course, I worried every night they were out there.
As far as I can tell, they're all still alive though, now that the weather has shot back up into 80+F. It has been very rainy and very windy, so I haven't actually gotten a chance to pull frames out and see if my queens are laying eggs yet. My hives are a 30 minute drive away, on the farmland of my Father-In-Law's home.

I have hopes in the future for harvesting enough honey that my husband can try making mead. And of course I have visions of homemade soap/lip balm/etc. as gifts for loved ones. But right now, I just want my hives to live! I'm trying to go by the "bees know what they're doing" mantra. I hope that they can survive no matter what I inadvertently do to them!

I hope I can find the camaraderie and advice on this forum to make their lives better.

What part of Il my family is from Taylorville

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline wickedlibrarian

• New Bee
    • The Skeptical (Former) Librarian
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 11:30:52 am »
I live in Peoria, IL but my beehives live in Wyoming, IL

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 07:41:00 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline DLMKA

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 01:41:14 pm »
I live in Peoria, IL but my beehives live in Wyoming, IL

I'm in East Peoria.  Nice to find more local keeps.   I'm new at this too so it'll be neat to compare notes as the season progresses.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 08:08:29 am »
Welcome to the site!

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 08:11:02 am »
Welcome to the forum.

anything