Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Early morning picture  (Read 3880 times)

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
Early morning picture
« on: June 02, 2009, 01:21:37 pm »
This picture was taken at 5am with a camera phone so sorry about the quality, as you can see they are clustered up around the entrance, I would guess the temp at about 58 degrees. The bottom is open (6"X36") and they have drawn out 12 of 20 top bars. They dont cluster like this during the day or at least not that I have seen. I would guess the cluster is about 1 1/2 inches deep, and about 5" high by 5" wide. Just curious if this is normal ?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Early morning picture
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:33:25 pm »
I don't quite comprehend the hive design from the photo.  Are they blocking the entrance,  or is the entrance below that piece of wood they are above?   I have seen Langstroth cluster on the front of the hive at might only, but that was because the population was that big when all the field bees returned for the night. During the day there where enough bees flying that they didn't need to cluster on the front of the hive.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 11:21:20 am »
There is actually three 1" holes about 1" apart just above the landing board, they are only doing this overnight and I assume its because they are crowded at night, they have plenty of room inside, they just are not using it yet. One of my langs started doing this last night, despite having plenty of room, however by this morning they had all withdrawn into the hive. The TBH supprised me a little as with the bottom open they actually have more "air" than the langs, but then the TBH has acted completely independant when compared to the other hives.

Offline RyanB

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 06:40:16 pm »
I am getting the same thing on mine.  They have PLENTY of room inside. just to be safe I added a few more empty bars and they still do it. No idea why.
Currently Fermenting:

Cherry Melomel - 1Gal
Pear Melomel - 1Gal
White Pyment - 1Gal
Root Beer Mead - 1Gal
Mead Cyser - 5Gal

Recently Finished:
Sack Mead - 1Gal, Very Good!
Braggot - 1Gal, Very popular!
Mead Cyser - 1Gal, Wifes Fav!
JAO - 1Gal, Nice, A bit too sweet.

Offline beedad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 08:38:35 pm »
my bees are staying inside (for now) but ive noticed that the night cluster is often right by the entrance.  maybe those outside bees are just trying to be part of the cluster, and just didnt see a reason to be on the inside.  it might be interesting to peek in from the back of the hive in the morning and try to see if it looks like the cluster is spilling out.  but yeah i know it make more scene to be on the inside.  bees are crazy.

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
    • Honeybees and Beekeeping
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 06:59:06 am »
Early morning here.