Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Checked united colony  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Checked united colony
« on: November 20, 2006, 10:41:24 am »
So, Saturday was an OK day to go out and check my 2 colonies that I had united.  As per the unsual method for uniting, (which I understand is a good one), I had taken a very weak colony and placed it above a stronger with newspaper inbetween, with some slits.  This has been in place for a couple of weeks because of such bad weather.  The bees had all moved down to the lower chamber, so I removed the upper one and the newspaper.  What I saw was not good and today looks like we may have quite a bit of sunshine.  The storm that was called for yesterday never arrived, some wind in the morning but by afternoon, many breaks in the sky with sun shining just before the sun went down, which is about 4:30 PM.  Anyways in the bottom chamber, I would say there is probably no more than 3 frames of bees, tops, the end frame of honey had mould on the bottom half and fair amount of mould on the bottomboard.  I have not yet converted to screened bottomboards.  This is something that I am looking into for the forthcoming season.  I would presume that this colony is still pretty weak even after uniting, and there are not enough bees to keep this box warm and dry.  So...any suggestions, should I contract the box making it smaller, give a clean bottomboard, or even perhaps take this colony now and unite it with one that I know for sure is strong.  I have 4 others that I peeked into and they are doing pretty good I would say.  Saturday was a warm enough day that bees were out on flights.  I actually saw some coming in with pollen.  I have no idea where they would get pollen from right now, but they found some.  I guess I just don't see everything around here (LOL).  I saw the queen in this colony walking around on a frame, so I know that she is there.  I presume that she is not laying now, taking her little break for the winter so I did not even bother to see if there were any eggs.  In our area, the queen evidently begins to lay again in January.  Is this the case in most places that have a winter downtime?  I still consider myself a newcomer to the bee world, so these things are intereting to me.  Any input will be greatly appreciated. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: Checked united colony
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 02:25:36 pm »
Do you know why the initial colony was so weak?  If it was because of disease or mites...well, then you are doing more harm than good by combining them.

If it is a matter of shrinking the space, maybe put in a follower board.  Other than that I don't know what to tell you.  I'd hold off any more combining unless you know why you have a weak colony.  Better to let die and make a split later.

-rick
Rick

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 02:51:22 pm »
Well, best I can figure out with several colonies actually.  I had a severe problem with the varroa mite.   That is why this colony is weak, I am certain of that.  The damage was so severe that I lost about 4 colonies by the time that I realized what was going on.  Learning curves for sure.  I have hopefully eridacated this pest.  Formic acid treatment while the weather was good enough for the bees to fan the fumes throughout the hive and will be applying the oxalic acid trickle come December 1, which should rid any residue of this pest.  Next year I have several methods that I will be using as a control and preventative measure that are more of a natural means.  This varroa mite is certainly a plague among beekeepers.  I did not even realize that I had such a severe problem until it was almost too late.  Like I said, I lost several hives to this.  Signs of presence of this should be something that newcomers to the bee world should be totally aware of.  I was not.  Yes, I did see many bees crawling around the ground close and far away from the beeyard, but I did not realize this was probably a sure sign of the varroa mite damage.  I thought it was plain and simply bees that had worn out wings from flying.  Learn and learn more. I did not have any other diseases with my colonies, that I am aware of.  I kept a real close eye out for either of the foulbrood diseases, no evidence of either, thank goodness.  THis winter I plan on studying more indepth the diseases that effect our bees, I will be prepared to have very healthy hives.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 09:54:13 pm »
It doesn't sound too promising.  I would put three frames of bees in a five frame nuc with two frames of honey.  Or combine them with another hive.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything