Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: And then there were 17  (Read 6125 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
And then there were 17
« on: December 22, 2009, 12:29:39 am »
Been busy, absent, nothing much more that I can really say to stick up for myself, hee, hee.  Just plain and simply, BUSY.....

The pre-Christmas hatch occurred.  Lockdown was Thursday last, and it was.  We went away for the weekend on Friday, returning on Sunday, yesterday.  The chicks were to begin to hatch on Saturday, just leaving them to fend for themselves, as there was no choice, we had plans to be at our childrens' houses to celebrate Christmas, as we won't be together then.  

My Husband built a great auto water device to provide humidity, thanks to the advice of Labman.  It is a cool thing, always fresh water coming in, and....to make it even better, my Husband hooked up the water to our waterline, using the type of tubing that is used for bringing water to our ice maker fridge, think it is like 1/4 inch tube or something.  Anyways, it works, but I can't get the humidity any higher than about 35%.  That percentage of humidity works 100% fine.  The hatch was 17 eggs out of 21, not bad.  The babies are a combination of black cochins, blue cochins and light brahmas.  I put an egg from the silver laced wyandotte that lives with our light brahma rooster, so the chick is a cross of these two, the others are purebreed.  It is hard to tell what colours are going to be what with the cochins yet, I think there is a few black, a few blue and a few splash.  a few more days into their growth will tell me more.  I was surprised to see how many of the chicks hatched.  Fifteen were hatched when we came home and two more hatched this morning, there are 3 eggs not hatched yet and doubt if they will.  I have left the two that hatched today in the incubator and will move them to be with the others in the morning.  Oh, isn't hatching such a fun and rewarding event, gotta love it.  I have 47 more eggs that are due to hatch the day after boxing day, lockdown is Friday.  Can't wait for that hatch, gonna have some nice chickies coming.  Have that wonderful day, Cindi.

The view when I first looked in the incubator when we returned

The first of the two to hatch this morning

The two of the two to hatch this morning and afternoon

The move to the brooding area of the 15 first hatched chicks

Another shot of the first 15 hatched chicks

Another angle

We let the four older chicks (4 weeks old now) out to see their new pals, separated for a couple of weeks until they really get a little stronger.  Then they will be in the same brooding area.  The older chicks sure did have a good time seeing what all the peeping was about

« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 11:47:56 pm by Cindi »
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: And then there were 17
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 06:29:11 am »
Cool stuff going on over there CynthiaM. Sounds like you & Ken had a nice time visiting with family. Now you can get back to doing chicken & rock duties.

...JP ;)
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 11:49:56 pm »
JP, brat!!!  You caught me using a different name, smiling, trust you to pick up on something so teeny weeny, I know you said that you were anal, but that takes the cake, smiling that big smile.  That was my top secret, smiling again.  Got 47 more eggs gonna hatch in two days, smiling.  Have those beautiful days, with that wonderful health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 10:21:44 am »
JP, brat!!!  You caught me using a different name, smiling, trust you to pick up on something so teeny weeny, I know you said that you were anal, but that takes the cake, smiling that big smile.  That was my top secret, smiling again.  Got 47 more eggs gonna hatch in two days, smiling.  Have those beautiful days, with that wonderful health.  Cindi

Good to see you, try not to be such a stranger, CynthiaM.  :cindi:

Ok, ok, I just added that smilie and I'll be, it says the name of this farmer looking brown thing is "Cindi".  :lau:

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 12:49:04 am »
That's hysterical Jp, you are right. the farmer is called Cindi.

Anyway Cindi you are keeping really busy with all the chickens. What do you plan on doing with all those chickens???

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 09:41:42 am »
That's hysterical Jp, you are right. the farmer is called Cindi.

Anyway Cindi you are keeping really busy with all the chickens. What do you plan on doing with all those chickens???

I better answer for her Annette, she probably won't be back on for four days or more, wouldn't want to keep you waiting so long.

She buries those little chicks underneath the rock pile as a sacrifice to the chicken gods, its said you can hear their little chirpings from miles & miles away. Poor little chickens!  :'(

...JP  :evil:

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 12:59:53 pm »
 :lau: :lau: :lau:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 01:15:09 am »
Ah JP, you never cease to bring that big smile to my face.  I think that cute little farmer is a cute little icon, and can't believe the name of it, smiling.  Were'd ya come up with that thing.

Annette, I am keeping some for my breeding stock and I will be selling there heritage chicks locally.  There is an enormous market for chickens in our area.  They have allowed chicken keeping in the city parts and people are going nuts.  The trouble I am going to have is to let them go.....I never would have believed I could ever have become so addicted to chickens, I think it is an illness or something I just can't recover from smiling.

The festive season is past, and my routines again will be set (hopefully).  I have every intention of hangin' out again here soon.  Sigh, I miss you all.  And that JP, well.....just can't say too much there, that little brat boy that never grew up, oops, did I say that.... :-P :-P JP  ;) :) :)  Have that most beautiful day, of love, friendship and health.  Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 10:47:57 am »
Ah JP, you never cease to bring that big smile to my face.  I think that cute little farmer is a cute little icon, and can't believe the name of it, smiling.  Were'd ya come up with that thing.

Cindi, if you click right above, to the right of the regular smilies where it says [more] (in blue) your smilie will be there.

Annette, I am keeping some for my breeding stock and I will be selling there heritage chicks locally.  There is an enormous market for chickens in our area.  They have allowed chicken keeping in the city parts and people are going nuts.  The trouble I am going to have is to let them go.....I never would have believed I could ever have become so addicted to chickens, I think it is an illness or something I just can't recover from smiling.

First, it starts with the rocks...

The festive season is past, and my routines again will be set (hopefully).  I have every intention of hangin' out again here soon.  Sigh, I miss you all.  And that JP, well.....just can't say too much there, that little brat boy that never grew up, oops, did I say that.... :-P :-P JP  ;) :) :)  Have that most beautiful day, of love, friendship and health.  Cindi

Why? I'm having too much fun!

...JP  :catchchick:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 12:09:42 pm »
Ah JP, you bring that smile again to my face, take care bro'.  Beautiful days, to live, love, enjoy and share, with greatest of health.  Cindi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 11:06:15 pm »
Oh man, do these chicks grow so fast.  The 20 in the incubator had to be moved to these chicks pen, so Ken built me a really nice big huge (3 X 5 foot) brooding area for those now almost 2 week old chicks.  We moved the 20 from the incubator (had to leave 3 inside for another day as they hatched late) over to the other chicks pen, and moved those older chicks to their new pen.  Enjoy the pictures.  It is quite time consuming to look after so many little chicks.  There was only 23 of 47 eggs that hatched over the past couple of days.  But that is OK, still have another 47 that are due to hatch on January 11, smiling.  Lots of fun here, and lots of work too, smiling again.  Have that most wonderful and awesomely great day, with health, Cindi

The new pen that Ken built.  It is cool, it has little feet on the bottom of it, and good handles on the side to carry it.  The babies all live in our basement suite, thank goodness for it or I couldn't be hatching chicks this time of year.  The barn is far too cold...

The chicks before they went into their new home, pretty poopy looking eh?  They do poop a whole lot, smiling.

The chicks into that new home

The last incubation carried over to their new home in a big pail, they were very happy to get out and eat and drink, and it only took them a minute to find the food, these are all different colours of cochins, black, buff, blue and splash and Light Brahmas.  There is a brown Cochin in that, no clue what on earth colour that one is, weird one.

The chicks loving their new clean home

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 12:16:17 am »
What do you do with them all?

...JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 12:32:33 am »
She sells them!!!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 10:46:53 am »
She sells them!!!

That would make sense & the rock sacrifices.  :'(

...JP