Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Northern California says "Hello!" to all.  (Read 3704 times)

Offline deverdude

• New Bee
Northern California says "Hello!" to all.
« on: June 18, 2009, 12:52:52 am »
Hi from Sonoma County, California! There are a ton of amateur and professional beekeepers here, but few are as available as all of you kind folks. I am reading and hiving at the same time... there is a bit to be learned. Evidently I got kind of a late start, but I drove seven hours round trip to pick up my first nuc (and fertilized queen), so count me as seriously interested. I was watching them with opera glasses today, while sitting in the shade in the yard. This is soooo cool... what a way to give something back to the world. You guys oughta be proud!
"We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts we make the world."  

Buddha

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: Northern California says "Hello!" to all.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 08:21:31 am »
You sound like you been stuck by the beekeeper bug  ;) , Welcome to the forum!!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:24:23 am »
Hello and Welcome Deverdude
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Offline Schoon

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 10:13:36 pm »
Welcome deverdude
Bobby

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 10:14:24 pm »
Welcome to the forum.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 02:48:18 pm »
Deverdude.  Welcome to our forum, so wonderful that you have found us.  You have travelled great length to get your bees, you are watching from great length through your opera glasses, smiling.  Just wait until you get up and really personal with them, smiling again.  You will soon find that you are held deeply under their spell -- we all are.  This will be a place where you will love to spend lots of time, a place where you can tell your stories, tales and experiences, you will have many, and will want to share, stick around.  We love new members and we love to listen and help.  Have a most wonderful day, to love and live, to share, and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline deverdude

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 10:59:32 pm »
Hello,
My thanks to all of you for the great welcome. I'm hoping for good things to come with my bees. Cindi, I am watching from only about 5-6 feet away using the glasses so I can see them really up close as they zip around. Saw several different colors of pollen in the sac on their legs, red and blue(!?). It is quite mesmerizing.
"We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts we make the world."  

Buddha

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 11:09:54 pm »
Hi deverdude.

I am up north in Placerville (north of Sacramento).  I have 4 hives at the moment and this is my 4th year with the bees. Have learned an incredible amount about beekeeping from this forum and could not have done it without.

Have you heard of Serge Labesque?  He is from around where you are and I believe he gives classes down there. One of the greatest beekeepers I have ever met.  I will be taking yet another class from him this July.

Stay in touch how you are doing

Annette

Offline sparks

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 12:43:28 am »
Hey, Deverdude,

Yep,  we ARE proud and it sounds like you are also.  You sound as excited as I was when I brought home my first bees.  They are three hives about 120 feet behind my back door and I bet that if I don't actually go out to the hives in a day I will look at them through binoculars at least a half dozen times.  You just got to know what their up to.  There is a lot of learning here and I hope you enjoy the classroom.

Chuck

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 12:58:11 am »
I'm not so proud, we get free honey from the bees and the privilege of watching the wondrous little insects' society performing on a level something akin to a miracle.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline deverdude

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 03:52:03 pm »
Ah well, it is nonetheless a good thing to do, and others benefit as well. Yes Annette, I have heard of Serge "the bee guru" Labesque from my brother (and others). I don't think that you could get a start doing this around here without hearing about him. I didn't know that he was teaching classes in July. Can you can tell me where he'll be teaching, and the dates?

Buddha

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 12:04:45 am »
Ah well, it is nonetheless a good thing to do, and others benefit as well. Yes Annette, I have heard of Serge "the bee guru" Labesque from my brother (and others). I don't think that you could get a start doing this around here without hearing about him. I didn't know that he was teaching classes in July. Can you can tell me where he'll be teaching, and the dates?

He is teaching an intermediate Natural Beekeeping classs on Saturday July 18, 2009 in Sacramento.  If you are interested, call Ernie Buda at 916-761-3802 or his email is: 2211budae@att.net. Cost is 35.00 for the class.  I took this same class last year and there was so much information and that is why I am taking it again. His beekeeping practices are so in line with my goals as a beekeeper. He is a kind and gentle man and truly loves his bees.

Let me know if you go, I want to meet you.

Annette

Offline lisascenic

• House Bee
    • My Blog, "How's Robb?"
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 01:57:25 am »
Hello "neighbor."

I've taken Monsieur Labesque's classes a couple of times.  So eye-opening!

Offline lisascenic

• House Bee
    • My Blog, "How's Robb?"
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 10:28:02 am »
How are your bees doing?  I thought I'd stop by and see how you are making out. Right now, mine are very busy, and seem to be particularly enjoying our lemon verbena.

anything