Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Frames  (Read 1496 times)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Frames
« on: April 05, 2014, 04:32:23 pm »
First - please forgive me Beemaster for not posting this in the equipment section but I needed a quick reply and thought it would recive more air time here  :-D
I am about to purchase some shallow frames and have always used split bottom frames but I am considering grooved bottom frames wedge top. I have Kelly shallow wired hook top foundation but I am thinking on going with Mann Lake frames this time. I know shb could be an issue but i would think no less than a split bottom frame?

Let me hear it......

On a side note I have always used kelly deep foundation but just bought some from another supplier i am not please with. It is wired hooked but seems to be a little short but I am using Kelly deep frames.

John 3:16

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Frames
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 06:03:56 pm »
The hook wired wax I have bought was always too long for grooved bottom frames. It would buckle when it hit the bottom of the groove. I use only split bottom frames. The shorter wax you bought might work.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 06:12:25 pm »
The hook wired wax I have bought was always too long for grooved bottom frames. It would buckle when it hit the bottom of the groove. I use only split bottom frames. The shorter wax you bought might work.

Thanks Id guess I will stick with split bottoms. The foundation was from a supplier in NC.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 06:16:56 pm »
Split bottom bars for wax foundation, this is to give the wax room to "stretch, sag, droop" (what ever you want to call it). The grooved bottom bars will limit the movement of the wax in the downward direction and cause it to buckle in the middle, even it you cross wire it will buckle below the bottom wire or even pop off of the bottom wire.

Grooved for plastic foundation.

I buy from Brushy and Kelley, always satisfied with frames and foundation. But then again all I buy is split bottoms and hooked wire wax foundation, with the exception of thin surplus every now and then for comb honey.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 06:37:18 pm »
Sc, you will be scolded!!   Naw,It's okay :)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 09:28:42 pm »
Sc, you will be scolded!!   Naw,It's okay :)

Ouch I felt that  :-D

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 09:30:51 pm »
Grooved for plastic foundation.

Never considered the grooved was for plastic. Never run anything but hooked and split. I thought the new slot top frames and grooved bottoms were for wax foundation also?

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 10:57:02 pm »
i'm running hooked with the grooved bottom bars without a problem.  i'm using foundation from rossman and frames from them and dadant.