Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A Bit of Earth  (Read 4213 times)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
A Bit of Earth
« on: February 09, 2008, 10:07:22 pm »
We were walking around Fairfield Lake in NC last Tuesday when I had an inspiration.  I've been trying to think of a name for my gardens for years.  I love the johnny-jump-ups that come up in the spring, and I particularly like one of the names for them, Hearts ease - because they do set my heart and mind at ease, breathing in their faint sweet scent.  But it just didn't work, I couldn't think of a good way to phrase it.  Couldn't imagine our honey label.  Then I considered using the Reinbeau name, it's a combo of both of our names, but he wasn't thrilled with it.

Then it struck me - a bit of earth.  Bit of Earth Farm.  That's what I've got here, just a bit of earth, a tiny .6 acre yard that I've worked for almost 30 years now.  I've got gardens, honeybees and this spring will have chickens - so it will be a bit of a farm, too!  I've got a glimmer of the label design in my head.  Greg loves the name, too!

100 points to whoever first identifies where this name came from - and I'll finish my story  ;)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: A Bit of Earth
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 10:05:51 am »
Ooooh, Ann, a mystery unfolding, and well all love the games.  That is such a sweet little diddy about your little piece of this earth that you take so good care of, look what you are nurturing in your space, that is beautiful, wonderful and I can say no more.  It brings that beautiful smile to my face, and yes, that brings peace to my soul as well.  You are doing a wonderful job with your piece of earth.

I cannnot participate in your game.  You know that I know your surname, I do not know Greg's.  But I bet that "beau" was what you called him when you first me him, I can only guess that half, I love this challenge you have set, it is a beauty.  I can't wait to hear what our other forum friends will guess, hee, hee, smiling.  Have a beautiful day, lovin' our lives we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 12:42:13 pm »
Well, the mystery isn't the name, that's easy - Rein is our last name (hubby's), my maiden name is Beauvais, so I combined the two into Reinbeau, I thought it was pretty neat.  I tried to get it as a domain name but someone else has it  :shock:

No, the mystery is the book.  Where did the phrase 'a bit of earth' come from?  It's a book I read long ago but I still love it - and any true gardener (especially female) should have read this book, or should read it now!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 09:19:49 am »
Ann, that's not fair!!! hee, hee.  I do not know the book, and now I want to read the book, so come on....tell what the name is.  It sounds wonderful, and I love how you put your new and improved and your names together to make a beautiful avitar name, by the way.  I love the pictures of the bees on the post, that was so coooooool.  Have a great and wonderful day, love your piece of this earth that you hold in your hand.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 09:24:48 am »
I mentioned this to my wife over the phone this morning. To show you how different we are.

I thought of Soundgarden the band and it's song. My wife thought of the kids book a Secret Garden. I think she is right.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 12:04:37 pm »
I dont know, but I call my honey Hidden Acre Honey b/c i live on an acre plus w/in a heavy suburb that no one knows about. I reserved the domain as well. My in-laws call their house "God's Little Acre" too. Can't wait to hear the rest of story.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 12:18:01 pm »
I mentioned this to my wife over the phone this morning. To show you how different we are.

I thought of Soundgarden the band and it's song. My wife thought of the kids book a Secret Garden. I think she is right.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Ding! Ding! Ding!  We have a winner!

Mary asks 'Might I have a bit of earth' of her Uncle Archibald Craven, the man she was frightened of when she first came to live at Misselthwaite Manner, after the death of her parents.  Anyone who loves gardening and lovely stories needs to read The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett.  I have always been a voracious reader, my grandmother taught me to read when I was four, I think I first read this book when I was seven or so - and I fell in love with it.  How I wish I could have an ancient walled garden full of love and mystery - and lovely flowers.....

Cindi, you need to read this!  It's not just a kid's book at all :)   It's actually on-line here - just found it, looks interesting!

There's a follow-on book written by Susan Moody that takes the story through to an interesting end, it's called Return to the Secret Garden.  Not as good as the first, but interesting, nonetheless.

And now I've found a DVD that looks interesting, Back to the Secret Garden - I'll have to check that out!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 11:15:24 pm »
Ann, beauty.  I am going on that road trip and will have time for reading, I am going to take your advice, I trust it, and I am going to order the book.  I don't like to read books on-line or on my computer, I do like to sit and read a book, very nice.  I have always loved to read a book, just don't find an awful lot of time to read the hokey stuff that I really, really like to now and then.  Too busy reading bee and garden books, hee, hee.  That is a wonderful trait that your Grandmother instilled in her lovely young Grandaughter, so nice to hear that, she must have been a fine woman.  I will obtain this book, Ann, thank you graciously for this little piece of insight.  Have a beautiful, wonderful day, we be lovin' life.  Cindi

anything