Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Found 'em!!  (Read 1499 times)

Offline wayne

• House Bee
Found 'em!!
« on: September 03, 2006, 05:51:10 pm »
A couple months ago I answered a call on a small swarm. The swarm was about the size of cantalope or musk melon. None of the beeks I work with was home so I put them in a deep box with frames of foundation, and sat them in the back yard. Had bees in the yard for the first time in years.
  I placed as feeder outside the front and put a queen keeper on the entry. After a couple weeks they looked busy and happy so I took off the guard.
  Big mistake.
  A day later and the box was empty. Not even burr comb, just a couple stragglers and some dirt.
  But I still had bees around the flower garden.
  Yesterday I was watching some on a humingbird feeder, and took notice of their flight patterns. Up and toward a tree in the neighbors yard.
  Binoculars proved the theory. They moved into a hollow branch about 20 feet up in this old maple.
  At least they stayed close by.

wayne
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Found 'em!!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 03:08:10 am »
Must have been a feral swarm who wanted an abode that reminded them more of home.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Found 'em!!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 01:31:49 pm »
yeh, that is good you found them, if your not going to remeove them put out a few swarm traps and catch the swarms the hive through's out the next few years..... you could always requeen the swarms if you want to....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic