Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Should i remove the second brood chamber  (Read 2054 times)

Offline tom

• House Bee
Should i remove the second brood chamber
« on: September 19, 2006, 10:16:07 pm »
Hello

I am wondering if i should remove the second brood chamber because they have no honey stored up there and they are staying in the bottom part and not even going to the top. They are working like crazy but we just got some rain and they are saying it is going to be in the 40s and later in the week back in the 50s at nite and in the 70s during the day.I have removed my other supers from my second hive which they did not even touch but all three are fanning and humming.

Tom

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 10:39:16 pm »
I would pull it if there is not any stores, at least I would in my part of the world.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 12:08:44 am »
With winter coming space that does not contain stores is a deteriment to your bees.  Take off any empty or partially full supers in order to improve its chances to survive.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline tom

• House Bee
Thank you all
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 12:25:45 am »
Hello

Mr.Bray and the rest of you guys i will pull it when the sun comes out and it is warm. I also would like to know if i should go ahead and start feeding them so they will have a good start on storing for the winter since they are calling for cool wheather and the nites are going to be cold also so my queens should be slowing down but in my hive#1 and three are still going full blast but the new queen in two is laying even thou the yellow mark is gone and she is laying small solid patterns so how long should i feed and should i give them some honey-b-healthy.

Tom

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 12:37:32 am »
You can begin ro feed if you insist.  I would wait for a week or so since they are still bringing in a good deal of nector.  Once you start feeding do so until all but a small arc of brood on about six frames are full of honey.  You want to force the bees to back fill as much comb with syrup as they will take yet still have a small area to grow brood for keeping the population stable during the winter.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything