Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Foundation ( Deep Supers )  (Read 2791 times)

Offline leechmann

• House Bee
New Foundation ( Deep Supers )
« on: March 11, 2009, 02:08:04 pm »
I am lookinng at buying some new frames for my deep hive boxes. My bee expert friend recommended that I use the ritecell foundation in the medium supers. So I thought I may as well get the same foundation for the deeps too. While I was looking at the diifferent varieties, I see some foundation that is listed as brood foundation. Do this mean that if it's not labled as brood foundation, it won't or should be used for that? The reason I ask, is that Ritecell didn't have a specific listing for brood foundation. Hope you can follow me. Thanks for you replies.

Leechmann

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
Re: New Foundation ( Deep Supers )
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 02:55:22 pm »
Plastic foundation will work anywhere.  Just pay attention to the sizes and order accordingly.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 07:20:32 pm »
If you care about cell size and you want plastic, or even if you don't, you can't beat the price nor the acceptance of Mann Lake's PF100s.  The cell size is 4.95mm and the bees accept them readily AND they are cheap.  They are one piece frame and foundation.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline challenger

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 09:56:52 pm »
There has been a large push toward replacing the brood comb on a 2-3 year rotation due to the belief that the brood comb holds contaminants which leads to the acceleration of deseases. Does this apply to plastic foundation?
Howard
Hampstead, NC
Beekeeping for Chordoma. All proceeds donated to cancer research

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 10:04:15 pm »
If you don't use chemicals and you use small cell, you eliminate a lot of those reasons as you don't get contaminated comb and the bees chew them out before they get so many layers of cocoons in them.

But you can also power wash them if you want to start over.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 10:07:52 pm »
Use a pressure washer to clean it off.
Regular water pressure does such a slow job. Plus if you can get a pressure washer with a heating element this will do the job much better.
my in put.
doak

Offline leechmann

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 09:07:57 am »
If you don't use chemicals and you use small cell, you eliminate a lot of those reasons as you don't get contaminated comb and the bees chew them out before they get so many layers of cocoons in them.

But you can also power wash them if you want to start over.

Ok, the new guy thing is showing up again. What is small cell?

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 01:57:35 am »
If you care about cell size and you want plastic, or even if you don't, you can't beat the price nor the acceptance of Mann Lake's PF100s.  The cell size is 4.95mm and the bees accept them readily AND they are cheap.  They are one piece frame and foundation.
Can you mix the pf120's with the Dadant plasticell foundation in the same hive?
These frames are priced pretty good if you buy 200 or so. But I already have 200 frames with the plasticell.
"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
-------------------

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 11:22:07 pm »
I use PF100 and have had no issues with acceptance.  The price is right, and it is quite durable. I am starting a few hives this year with drawn pf-100 and will add a second deep with starter strips when the bees are ready. 
Brian

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 10:13:22 am »
I use only PF-120 [ mediuns ] frames for brood & honey no problems at all.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 08:25:17 pm »
>But I already have 200 frames with the plasticell.

I have about that many or more Ritecell, but I won't ever use them... I suppose you can mix them but then the point of small cell is to eliminate the large cell where the Varroa are reproducing to such an advantage...
-------------------

anything