Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Overland Park removal  (Read 4019 times)

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
Overland Park removal
« on: May 24, 2011, 03:30:24 pm »
This removal was less than 5 minutes from our home. Gayle and I completed it last Sunday.

Very nice Gentle Bees that look like Carniolans.

We post up photos and descriptions for our customers. Here is the link:

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj72/DSemple/Bees%202011/Larry%20and%20Johnnie%20B/

I prefer not to wear gloves, but I couldn't see into the cavity and was cutting out a lot of the comb blind. Was really wishing my arms were a foot longer on this one.

Hope you enjoy. I will learn how to edit a video one of these days.

Don & Gayle

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
Re: Overland Park removal
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 05:45:52 pm »
That's a good one! Three boxes!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 07:33:22 pm »
I still love those thermal pics.   And it was hard to beat that 5 minute drive.

Offline Dave360

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 09:19:57 pm »
Looks like Robos bee vac and cutout shim
boy I love Robos Vac

Thanks for sharing the photos

Dave

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 10:03:49 am »
Looks like Robos bee vac and cutout shim
boy I love Robos Vac

Thanks for sharing the photos

Dave

Yes, it's a Robo bee vac, I made myself a couple of them. It came in very handy on this job because the bees at the end of the job, when all the comb was removed, clustered in the middle of the chiney chase where I couldn't reach them by hand, but I was able to get to them with the vacuum. (Thanks for posting the design Rob).

Also, I have found it's handy to have multiple cutout shims for times when I have had jobs go into multiple days and end up with more than one box of vacuumed bees to combine. I put the extra shim without a screen in it between the bottom and the boxes, and just wait for the bees to move up into the frames and slide the screen in. That way I can add the 2nd box of vacuumed bees above the brood. A guys just got to remember to pull out the shims after a couple of days.

Don

Offline RiegeperH-BAN

• Brood
    • Overland Park Locksmith
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 01:08:01 am »
I visited your given link. You have nice collection of these pics. I love all pics these thermal pics are very nice. If you have more pics please put here.

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 08:59:21 am »
I like your comb cutting jig, very clever!

Offline wadehump

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 09:20:55 am »
jig is nice will make 1 also

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 10:46:05 am »
I visited your given link. You have nice collection of these pics. I love all pics these thermal pics are very nice. If you have more pics please put here.

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj72/DSemple/Bees%202011/Bees%202012/

About the Thermal camera. It's very finicky, expensive and lies about half the time.

Stethescope works better, and at $25 dollars is the way to go.

Glad you like the photos, we post them Online for our customers to help get and sell more cut-outs and swarm jobs.

Thanks to JP, schawee, Scott and Peg for showing me how to do removals, we now have way too many hives.   :drowning:

I'm thinking about sending each one of them one of my extra unmarried sister-in-laws to pay them back!   :-D  :lau:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:31:42 am by D Semple »

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 09:13:17 pm »
Those pics are awesome. Thanks for sharing. The thermal image doesn't necessarily lie..  :) It could be showing cool or warm air escaping from the building or perhaps you dont have your emissivity set properly. If you are looking at anything with a shiny or metallic surface (like a shed for example) it will show reflection --- could be a hot lawnmower behind you or even yourself. Although the picture wont lie, the temperature stated typically does. I'm not a thermograpger, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night.... LOL Great photos and great fun ,,,, keep them coming  :-D   
Marshall

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 10:11:47 pm »
I too like your cutting jig. I will make one also. Looks like you just lay the comb on the jig, place your knife in the slot and make 2 cuts. How much shorter are they than the inside dimension the frame are they?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything